Lexmark wireless printer not waking up after FIOS install
smokeybandit
Enthusiast - Level 3

I recently had FIOS installed, a MI424WR-GEN2 vE router.

This post isn't about get connected wirelessly , it's about staying connected after the printer goes into its sleep mode.

Previously, a Lexmark x4650 wireless printer worked just fine with a WRT54G router.  Even after long periods of activity, and print jobs would wake the printer.

Now, with FIOS (it connects just fine wirelessly), after the printer sleeps I suddenly have to restart the printer to have any communication with the it (this includes http, pings and normal printer spooling communications).

The printer shows up as being connected (but inactive) on the My Network page of the router.  I've tried both dynamic and static IPs on the printer.   I've reset the printer to defaults twice.   There is no Wake on LAN setting on this printer that I can find.

While I certainly can't rule out a problem with the printer, certainly the only delta here is the new router.

One thing that I haven't tried (that I just thought about) was to restart the router.  A couple weeks ago we had an extended power outage due to a storm.  Though I'm not sure what good that would do.

Anyone have any suggestions on the FIOS side of things to check?

0 Likes
Re: Lexmark wireless printer not waking up after FIOS install
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 In the router go to Advanced -> IP Address Distribution Or Advanced Setup -> IP Address Distribution

Which ever exist in your router.

#2 What is the Current Starting and Ending IP Address?

0 Likes
smokeybandit
Enthusiast - Level 3

.100 to .254.

Using the dynamically assigned .153 and the statically assigned .90, same problem.

Some new info, I got home yesterday, and was able to access the printer with no issues.  No action taken on my part.

It almost seems the printer is losing communication to the router at random times.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 In the router go to Wireless Settings (or Wireless Setup) Which ever exist in your router.

#2 Then go to Wireless Status, as need be.

#3 It will look something like the screen that you see at

http://screenshots.portforward.com/Actiontec/MI424WR-GEN2_Rev_F/Wireless_Status.htm

#4 What is the channel set to? For example, Automatic

#5 What is the Security Level set to? For security/privacy reasons, only answer the question - Do not post the key! I don't need to know nor care what it is.

For example WEP-64 Bit.

#6 What is SSID Broadcast set to?

#7 What is MAC Authentication set to?

0 Likes
smokeybandit
Enthusiast - Level 3

Doing this from memory...

Channel is set to automatic (though currently using 11).  Channel on the printer is 11.

Security level is WPA/AES.  Printer options are WPA+PSK and WPA2+PSK

SSID broadcast is disabled.

MAC authentication is disabled.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

@smokeybandit wrote:

Change that to enabled.

FFR (For Future Reference), you are not really hidden by doing that.

Points to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11468

--

If that solves your issue, please mark as solved.

If that does not solve the issue that you are having with your printer, please post.

0 Likes
smokeybandit
Enthusiast - Level 3

@dslr595148 wrote:

Ok.

@smokeybandit wrote:

Change that to enabled.

FFR (For Future Reference), you are not really hidden by doing that.

Points to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11468

--

If that solves your issue, please mark as solved.

If that does not solve the issue that you are having with your printer, please post.

I know.  Force of habit over the years.

But relevant to my issue, I'm chalking it up as random flakiness on the network.  I haven't had the problem since those two days.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are still having issues...

@smokeybandit wrote:

Channel is set to automatic (though currently using 11).  Channel on the printer is 11.

Change that from automatic to channel 11.

0 Likes