Lexmark Z1400 WIRELESS printer stopped working after FIOS installation (Actiontech MI424 router)
phl08

I have a Lexmark Z1420 WiFi printer.  It worked fine on my network (formerly using a Linksys WAP54G) prior to the FIOS install.  After the FIOS installation, I have insured my network is using the old name, WPA key, etc.  All my hosts can connect to it with no problems.  And, for this printer, I am able to SEE my printer status page over the network (via the static IP I set for it), so the connectivity is there.  But when I try to print to it, I get a communication failure.  

The only changed variable is the addition of this FIOS router in place of the old WAP54G access point.  I have to wonder if there is some kind of filtering going on?  I have been through the config pages of the Actiontech, but can't seem to find what might allow this traffic through.  I reduced the firewall to minimal, but that didn't seem to help.

I am using a Macintosh, although that shouldn't make much difference.  And, to be sure, I am still able to plug directly into the printer's USB and print to it, so I know the printer itself actually works. 

0 Likes
Re: Lexmark Z1400 WIRELESS printer stopped working after FIOS installation (Actiontech MI424 router)
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
Visit the website for Motorola and look up the Actiontec router.  You can download a .pdf copy of the manual.   I can tell you positively that the default settings of the actiontec do not block any network communications.   Save your router's configuration file to your desktop so you can import it back into the router later, then press in and hold the reset button on the router for at least 15 seconds to set it back to the default settings.   Then set our printer for DCHP from the router and make the wireless connection, likewise connecting one computer to the wireless router, or wired, again DHCP, and then try it. (Including go back to WEP, which is the default of the router)   It should work.   That will then show you that it has to be some setting you are \ are not changing correctly when you make all of your settings.
0 Likes
Re: Lexmark Z1400 WIRELESS printer stopped working after FIOS installation (Actiontech MI424 router)
phl08

I had already reset the router when I got it because the default password wasn't working.  So, all the settings are back at default and the problem still happens.

What's more is that I connected the printer direct via USB to a PC and then shared the printer as a windows printer.  I was able to configure the mac to connect to the windows printer, but I still get communication errors when actually trying to print to it.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

"after the FIOS installation, I have insured my network is using the old name, WPA key, etc.  All my hosts can connect to it with no problems."

That is not the default settings.  Those are your changes.

0 Likes