Linksys router WRT54GX2 wireless not working with Verizon MI424WR, Need Help Please!
marc32
I'm having a problem with my linksys router a wrt54gx2, that is connected down from a Verizon MI424WR router. The verizon router was connected in my basement to distribute the signal below. I used a wired cat5e to distribute the signal upstairs to the linksys router. So the linksys router would overlap the verizon router in coverage. The linksys router is working on the wired portion with no problems, but I'm getting very little speed on the wireless portion. How can I make the linksys router work seamlessly with verizon's router? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
0 Likes
Re: Linksys router WRT54GX2 wireless not working with Verizon MI424WR, Need Help Please!
prisaz
Legend

Have you tried to disable the wireless portion of the Verizon router, and only use the linksys?

What speeds are you seeing from the Linksys vs the Verizon router?

How is the  Linksys connected to the Verizon router? WAN to LAN, or LAN to LAN?

Is security enabled ton the Linksys router?

If the Linksys and other router are on the same channel, they could be causing interference with each other. Seamlessly? They would not be like cellular phone sites, you would need to be connected with one, or the other. With the proper SSID and encryption key. If the Linksys does not have encryption enabled, someone else close by could be connected and using your bandwidth.

Need more info.

I would disable wireless on the Verizon router and use only one wireless connection. If you wanted all computers to be on the same network, you would need to be LAN to LAN and disable DHCP on one of the routers. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

0 Likes
Re: Linksys router WRT54GX2 wireless not working with Verizon MI424WR, Need Help Please!
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

To further the discussion of Prisaz, is the Verizon Router connected to the Linksys on the WAN port or the LAN port.  If you are using the WAN port (which you can do) of the Linksys than you won't be able to talk to any device plugged into the verizon router except the Internet.  Basically it means you are on two different networks but sharing the same internet connection.

A recommendation will be to plug the ethernet cable of the linksys into the LAN port and then disable DHCP on the linksys.  You should also manually set the LAN ip address on the linksys to 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0.  This way you can still access the linksys management console if you need and be on the same network as the rest of your house.

Like Prisaz indicated choose one device to provide wireless and disable wireless on the other device.  The two devices will not do a seamless handoff between each other and if they are on the same channel it will cause interference.  This is bad.

marc32
Ok since I'm not computer savvy , but enough to get myself in trouble it seems. I understand I need to turn off the wireless on the verizon router , since it's in my basement. Can someone please tell me how to do this? I prefer to keep the wireless on the linksys router up. 
0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

using your browser connect to:

http://192.168.1.1

Choose Wireless Settings from the top

From the left choose basic Security settings

Item #1 is to be set to off which is Turn Wireless on