Low connection speed, please explain.
X-w

So I've experiencing low internet connection issue all the time. Basically, the internet I have cannot support me work from home. 

I have "Fios Internet Speeds Up to 50 Mbps/50 Mbps", I have both non-5G and 5G wireless network at home.

When I am within 10 feet from my wireless router, using the only one online device to run speed test provided by google, here are the results.

This is for 5G:

This is for my non-5G:image

So my question here is, where my 50/50 number I supposed to see for my wireless speed?

I am at Ellicott City, Shipley Grant neighborhood, 21043, in case the location matters.

0 Likes
Re: Low connection speed, please explain.
jonjones1
Legend

Sometimes I feel I should write this reply as a script. 

Wifi is no indication of true ethernet connected speeds. WiFi at best will be at 50% of ethernet connect to a routers lan port and depending on the device and it’s radio may get even less.

Google is no acceptable test of speed to Verizon Fios. You must use Verizon’s proprietary speed test server. https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx

The WiFi you are referring to is 2.4 & 5 Ghz bands which is standard on a Verizon and many other brands of routers.

you must use a hard wired connection via ethernet to achieve the speeds you are provisioned for.

X-w

Thanks for the explanation. Agree with the wired speed part, though when the tech guy came and installed for me he let me tested using wireless. Actually I have never used wired network at home. My another home I can feel much faster than my this one. One thing to point out is I cannot do vedio meetings when work from home at my this one (Logans way), but I sure can do smooth vedio meetings at my another place (Sandhill road).

However, doubt the google speeding test part. we need to use a third-party tester, do we? So in which case, the results from Google and Verizon would be different? and why it is different? 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The issue is first WiFi will be much slower than a direct ethernet connection to the router than over the air.

your speeds are slow in relation to what you are provisioned for. Your up/down speeds on a wired connection should be over 55/60 you are always getting a little more.

verizons test  server is proprietary and it does not reflect slowdowns or net congestion or bad hops, etc. using google or speedtest net will often times be slower than Verizon’s test site.

you can run a Verizon speed test over WiFi like from a tablet or cell phone and you may see blazing fast provisioned speeds. Because the speedtest is from the CO to your home router. If you test device speed test you may get the speeds you are showing.

however your numbers are not within half the router speeds. So it would also take into account the device you are using to test the speeds.

0 Likes