Re: Major bottlenecking of certain websites
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The OP's issue sounds like drop box getting congested personally, but the rest of the responses really sound DNS related

0 Likes
seitzbg
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is Verizon's peering with AWS (where dropox is hosed) that is hosed/congested.  Same theme, different site.

db909
Contributor - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Open DNS is probably better than googles but a lot of what is being described sounds like DNS issues.

Do you have anything to cite as to why Open DNS is better than Google for the OP's issue, i.e. slow speeds?

0 Likes
Yardl3y
Enthusiast - Level 2

downoading a 1GB file right now from WeTransfer at 9KB/sec, 1 day 10 hours remaining. My next friend/next door neighbor just downloaded the file in 3 minutes on Xfinity. I'm done with Verizon, although I don't want to switch, I'll pay the early termination fee and slightly increased monthly rate. At least I'll get what I'm paying for. 

0 Likes
Yardl3y
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, the problem with that is that I'd have to run an ethernet cable to a pretty remote area of my home. I do have a STB in that are though, can I use an ethernet over coax adapter like the ones linked below? If yes would I connect the coax cable from the wall into the coax in, then coax out to the STB and then connect the AP to the ethernet port of the ethernet over coax adapter? That would be great If I can set it up like that. 

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-without-Routers/dp/B008EQ4BQG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qi...

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yes, you could use the Actiontec MoCA adapater, ECB2500, as you described.

If you can connect your PC/MAC/etc directly to the ECB2500 via Ethernet you wouldn't need an additional AP. 

If you need WiFi, you could connect an accesspoint to the ECB2500, or you might consider using a WCB3000N network extender instead of the ECB2500.  The WCB300N will give you two Ethernet ports plus 802.11n and 802.11a, all plug-and-play.

But you could use a third party AP connected to the Ethernet port on the ECB2500 if that's what you prefer.

edit:  You can see the WCB3000N network extender here:

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts

Click on the third link from the top on that page, "FiOS Network Extender."

Yardl3y
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks! That seems like an excellent solution. 

0 Likes