Making a device visible to the outside world
RichHall

Hi there.  I have a hardware device that has a built in web interface.   Right now, it defaulys to port 80.   It is a password protected web interface and is configured on an internal static IP address.   How can I set up my Actiontec router to get me to the device from the outside world?

0 Likes
Re: Making a device visible to the outside world
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RichHall wrote:

Hi there.  I have a hardware device that has a built in web interface.   Right now, it defaulys to port 80.   It is a password protected web interface and is configured on an internal static IP address.   How can I set up my Actiontec router to get me to the device from the outside world?

Build a port forward rule for port 80 to the ip address of the device, it should look like below.  I you can change the default listening port of the device from being 80 I would do that, changing it to some obscure port would cut down on traffic from attempting hacker.

192.168.1.254     Destination Ports 80         All Broadband Devices       Active

TCP Any -> 80

Re: Making a device visible to the outside world
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As someone else has stated, opening up port 80 directly could be a security concern. However if you can't change the port from the device, there is a way to use the actiontec itself to re-direct the port to your LAN. Here is a guide to doing that:

1. First, click "Firewall Settings", then the "Port Forwarding" Tab. Ignore the security warning and click yes.
  2. Once on the "Port Forwarding" page, click the "Advanced >>" Button, as seen in the screen shot below. 

After you have clicked "Advanced", follow these steps.

1. Under "Create New port forwarding rule" choose the device's LAN IP from the drop-down list (if it dosen't show up, click "specify" from the drop-down and write it in manually.)
  2. Next, click the "Application to forward" drop down, and select "Custom Ports"
  3. You'll see a new menu appear. Don't worry, it only looks confusing
  4. Leave the source ports set to Any. Don't change this.
  5. Change the "Destination Ports" drop down to specify. In the bar that appears, type a random port number. Something that won't be easily guessed by hackers (8989, 10189, etc). This is what you will use to access the device from the external web (instead of just typing http://71.112.182.999, you would type http://71.112.182.999:8989)
  6. Now click the "Forward to port" dropdown, click "Specify" again. Type 80 in the box that appears. This tells the router you want to forward port 8989 or whatever you choose to port 80 on the LAN. 
  7. Leave all other options alone, and click add. 

After you click add, you should see the new rule appear below like so:

Again, you could go the easier method and just open port 80, but that would be extremely unsecure (even if your device is password protected).