Massive Slowdown of 75/35 in Virginia - Tests fast, works v.slow
Ginseng1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm here in Northern Virginia and probably around Halloween or earlier, practical FiOS speeds dropped dramatically. I have 75/35 and have been getting consistent hardwired speeds of about 0.5MB/s-1.2MB/s. Although Speedtest.net and Verizon's own speedtest site show healthy burst speeds (tonight's results appended below), any practical usage slows to an absolute crawl. iTunes downloads and App updates drop to about 0.5MB/s. Vimeo and YouTube vary wildly from 0.3MB/s - 3.6MB/s. I mean from second to second, the speeds spike up and down over a ten-fold range. The same situation exists for my wife's iMac via wifi.

Here is my test result from Verizon's speed test. BTW, they have no updated diagnostic or tuning tools to work for Mac users. Surely the half-dozen or so of us merit a bit more love than this. Of course I can't make heads or tails of the output. Perhaps a Verizon operative can help.

Note: I spent about an hour on chat with a Verizon support person checking the outside box and resetting my router. He even took over via GoToAssist for a bit but still not dice. Same situation and no help so I'm guessing the issue is upstream. And I keep strong active antivirus on at all times and I do not p2p share or torrent (iTunes addict here) so I can't imagine I'm being throttled.

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [131768]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 37.16Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 52.08Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Mac OS X, Architecture = x86_64, Version = 10.7.5
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_09

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 524280 bytes.
622 Mbps OC-12 link found.
Link set to Half Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 13.88 msec; the Packet size = 1448 Bytes; and
There were 272 packets retransmitted, 6690 duplicate acks received, and 6911 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is sender limited 69.21% of the time.
This connection is network limited 30.44% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: ON
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [REDACTED] but Client says [REDACTED]

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Massive Slowdown of 75/35 in Virginia - Tests fast, works v.slow
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Ginseng, 

We are glad that this issue was resolved for you. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime. 

Tonya D.

View solution in original post

Re: Massive Slowdown of 75/35 in Virginia - Tests fast, works v.slow
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Ginseng, 

We are glad that this issue was resolved for you. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime. 

Tonya D.