Media Manager Can't See WMV file
FatherVideo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I installed Verizon Media Manager and I have a family video created in Windows Live Movie Maker that is a WMV file. Media Manager did not pick it up in a scan and when I tried to add it manually, I got an error that said I'm trying to scan a corrupt or unsupported file format. I also converted the file to an AVI and got the same error. All files play on my computer in Windows Media Player with no issue.

Video originated off a Canon HD video recorder.

Any ideas? Would really like to play the video on my TV.

0 Likes
Re: Media Manager Can't See WMV file
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Do other WMV and AVI files play fine?

0 Likes
FatherVideo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Media Manager plays some of my AVIs (seem to be ones directly out of a Canon Powershot), but not the WMVs or coverted AVIs created in Windows Movie Maker. It doesn't even Scan the WMVs into the library.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled Verizon Media Manager, but same results.

This makes Media Manager a bit useless to me as I use Windows Movie Maker to create family vacation movies.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

If some AVI's are playing, then its a problem with Windows Movie Maker program and how it exports. I am sorry that our program will not meet your needs.

0 Likes
FatherVideo
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, the problem is with your product. Microsoft Windows Movie maker files play everywhere but in your player. A WMV file is a WMV file. Maybe you shoudl report this to your software developers and they could work on fixing in a new release of YOUR software.

That'sretty lame to blame another program taht is working.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

True, but I can name any files a .wmv file and it doesn't have to be a WMV file at heart. What matters is the Audio and Video codec used under the file extension as a part of the container. If it's legit WMV, then yeah, Media Manager is broken and needs fixing. If it's a recompressed WMV file using 3rd party tools, I'd pay attention to the codec used, or just use VLC Media Player, which doesn't care what the file is called as long as it can read it, to stream to devices over the network.

0 Likes
FatherVideo
Enthusiast - Level 2

We're talking Microsoft Movie Maker that comes with Windows 7 and you're talking renaming files and 3rd party codecs? If Verizion Media Manager can't handle a standard file format produced by standard Microsoft software, I'd think they'd want to look into it and make it work under those circumstances.

0 Likes
FatherVideo
Enthusiast - Level 2

What is VLC?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ignore what I stated then. I didn't see Movie Maker being mentioned in the post upon reflection.

0 Likes