Mesh network with Fios - in simple terms, please
SlimTim22
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm surprised I've been unable to resolve with with various searches, but the answers have generally gone over my head.

I have Fios TV and internet (200 Mbps), and a G3100 router purchased (for $300!) from Verizon.  I have a brick ranch house and need to broaden the wifi coverage in the house, so I want to add a mesh network (I have a couple of extenders, but I'm not thrilled with them).

I like the price and reviews of the Google mesh system, but I've been unable to understand exactly how to hook them up - there's apparently some trickiness in order to keep the full features of the Fios TV.  Can someone please explain if this combo will work, and what I need to do?  (or if there's a preferred mesh system with a 3-pack in the $200 ballpark, that would be fine too).   Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mesh network with Fios - in simple terms, please
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

With Verizon TV service, you must keep the Verizon router as the primary.

You can install a mesh system behind the G3100 by plugging into one of it's LAN Ethernet ports.

If you're going to put all of your devices other than the Verizon set-top-boxes on the mesh's LAN (WiFi and Etherent), you can use any system you like; Google's included.  If you'll have a mix of devices on the G3100's LAN (WiFi and Ethernet), you'll need to get a mesh system that supports Access Point (AP) mode.  I'm not sure Google's system supports this mode.  I know many TP-Link mesh systems support this mode.  Some of the other vendors should support it as well; just be sure to do your research before buying or buy from a place with an easy return policy.

The reason for AP mode is that without it, the mesh creates an entirely different LAN for it's devices.  The devices on the mesh LAN will have difficulty seeing any devices on the G3100 LAN, while devices on the G3100 LAN won't be able to see any devices on the mesh LAN.  AP mode disables this "2nd network" and causes all devices on the mesh to be full-fledged members of the G3100's LAN.

For example, I run a TP-Link Deco m9+ mesh in AP mode behind my G1100 and it works just fine.

With 300/300 service (what 200/200 really is), you don't need a WiFi6 mesh.  There are lots of good systems available for $200 or even less.  If you're a Costco member, they often have very good deals on 3-packs of mesh nodes.  If not, you can find good deals online at the obvious place and vendors like B&H Photo and Microcenter.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Side question....are the extenders Verizon E3200s?

In order to maintain full functionality of television features, the 3100 would be connected to the ONT with both coaxial and ethernet cables.

The Google units would operate behind the 3100.

SlimTim22
Enthusiast - Level 2

The extenders are a couple of inexpensive TP-Link units - actually two different types.  

The 3100 is indeed connected to the ONT with both coax and ethernet.

So, what does this sentence mean exactly, in terms of how I hook them up:  "The Google units would operate behind the 3100"

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

With Verizon TV service, you must keep the Verizon router as the primary.

You can install a mesh system behind the G3100 by plugging into one of it's LAN Ethernet ports.

If you're going to put all of your devices other than the Verizon set-top-boxes on the mesh's LAN (WiFi and Etherent), you can use any system you like; Google's included.  If you'll have a mix of devices on the G3100's LAN (WiFi and Ethernet), you'll need to get a mesh system that supports Access Point (AP) mode.  I'm not sure Google's system supports this mode.  I know many TP-Link mesh systems support this mode.  Some of the other vendors should support it as well; just be sure to do your research before buying or buy from a place with an easy return policy.

The reason for AP mode is that without it, the mesh creates an entirely different LAN for it's devices.  The devices on the mesh LAN will have difficulty seeing any devices on the G3100 LAN, while devices on the G3100 LAN won't be able to see any devices on the mesh LAN.  AP mode disables this "2nd network" and causes all devices on the mesh to be full-fledged members of the G3100's LAN.

For example, I run a TP-Link Deco m9+ mesh in AP mode behind my G1100 and it works just fine.

With 300/300 service (what 200/200 really is), you don't need a WiFi6 mesh.  There are lots of good systems available for $200 or even less.  If you're a Costco member, they often have very good deals on 3-packs of mesh nodes.  If not, you can find good deals online at the obvious place and vendors like B&H Photo and Microcenter.

SlimTim22
Enthusiast - Level 2

Awesome - very comprehensive and comprehensible - many thanks.