MI424WR adding modem as extender????
robledjl
Enthusiast - Level 2

first of all thanks for stopping by...ive been searching all day, reading and looking at videos but no luck so this is one of my last resorts maybe someone can lead me on the right direction, I just have internet thats it no TV, when i bought the house for some reason the coax is in the garage so i want to extend the signal range by adding a netgear modem running dd-wrt firmware...this is where i get stuck since i dont know how to set up any of them. I have followed a few tutorials but it still doesnt work, does anyone know how to set it up or know where i can go for help?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MI424WR adding modem as extender????
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@robledjl wrote:

hey viafax999...i apologize but is it possible to email or something and show you a picture of what i have? i tried to do step by step what you had told me but i still cant manage to get the netgear router to connect, is it because i have DD-WRT firmware running? the concept sounds very simple but **bleep** for someone like me that is not experience on these things is a bit complicated...i took a picture of the settings i put on there, i didnt change anything on VZ router

DD-WRT should make no difference, all routers work the same way

I sent you a pm with my email address.

You will have to logon to the forums to see the mail, you can use your regular account id and passsword and then you should see a little yellow envelope on top right.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume your netgear is actually a router.

Just need to run Ethernet cable from ONT to wherever you want in your house.

Then put your netgear router there.

robledjl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your response and information, this is my second post so im gladed you let me know about kudos etc... so the more i read around the web on my issue the more information i got. So i learned last night about ONT, which is the white box that is mounted on my garage wall....i do see there is an plug for an ethernet cable, i also did learned that i can either use the coax cable for internet or ethernet cable but not both at the same time correct? im only running internet not tv so using my netgear router shouldnt effect anything. From my understanding i have to call verizon to active that port on the box right? I know the basics when it comes to coputers and once i get stuck and find no asnwers, thats when i start to read and ask questions. Once again thank you very much for your response.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@robledjl wrote:

Thanks for your response and information, this is my second post so im gladed you let me know about kudos etc... so the more i read around the web on my issue the more information i got. So i learned last night about ONT, which is the white box that is mounted on my garage wall....i do see there is an plug for an ethernet cable, i also did learned that i can either use the coax cable for internet or ethernet cable but not both at the same time correct? im only running internet not tv so using my netgear router shouldnt effect anything. From my understanding i have to call verizon to active that port on the box right? I know the basics when it comes to coputers and once i get stuck and find no asnwers, thats when i start to read and ask questions. Once again thank you very much for your response.

Where is your Verizon router now? Also in the garage?

If it's already in the house then you can just connect your netgear router to the verizon router without having to change the ont to ethernet provisioning and string a bunch of ethernet cable.

Just configure your netgear router to be on a different subnet e.g. 192.168.2 and turn on the dhcp server.  Also set it to have a static address on the verizon subnet e.g. 192.168.1.254.  Then connect an ethernet cable from a LAN port on the verizon router to the WAN port on your netgear router and it should just come up with no issues.

robledjl
Enthusiast - Level 2

@viafax999. Thanks a lot for your response, it's starting to make more sense now. My Verizon router is in the garage as well but i already have an ethernet cable running from that router to the inside of the house. All i needed was guidence on how to set it up, im almost there just a few questions more though. When you say "Also set it to have a static address on the verizon subnet e.g. 192.168.1.254" is this something i have to do to the verizon wireless or is this i change on my netgear? Do i need to log onto the VZ router at all? I am going to try this as soon as i get home and hopefully you'll see it solve. I understand that VZ router ip is 192.168.1.1, so the netgear can have an ip of 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.254? am i understanding this right? sorry once again im not too familiar with networking or routers.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@robledjl wrote:

@viafax999. Thanks a lot for your response, it's starting to make more sense now. My Verizon router is in the garage as well but i already have an ethernet cable running from that router to the inside of the house. All i needed was guidence on how to set it up, im almost there just a few questions more though. When you say "Also set it to have a static address on the verizon subnet e.g. 192.168.1.254" is this something i have to do to the verizon wireless or is this i change on my netgear? Do i need to log onto the VZ router at all? I am going to try this as soon as i get home and hopefully you'll see it solve. I understand that VZ router ip is 192.168.1.1, so the netgear can have an ip of 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.254? am i understanding this right? sorry once again im not too familiar with networking or routers.

No, it's changed on the netgear router.  But if you already have an ethernet cable running into the house you can just replace the verizon router with your netgear router after having the ont provisioning changed, that only take 20 minutes or so on the phone with tech support.  In that case you would just reset your netgear router to factory defaults and connect it to the ont directly.

Ah, just read the other bit.

If you do it by connecting the VZ router lan-wan to your router you would want to set it up on a different subnet for example 192.168.2 so you would give the netgear router the adddress of 192.168.2.1 and set the dhcp server on on the netgear router with a dhcp range of say 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.200 and you'd give it a static ip address for internet connectivity on the verizon subnet so say 192.168.1.254  You'd also set the default gateway for internet access to be 192.168.1.1 (address of the vz router).  You could also set that address for the dns servers which would default dns to be the dns servers used by the verizon router which by default are their own servers.  You could also set your dns servers to be external dns servers of your choice if you wanted to.

0 Likes
robledjl
Enthusiast - Level 2

ok. i like your other option though, that way i can still use the VZ router in my garage for my projector and use the Netgear router inside the house to give complete coverage. I will follow your steps and post back in a few. I really appreciate your help, i spent all day yesterday trying to figure this thing out.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I editted my previous response and added a bit.

0 Likes
robledjl
Enthusiast - Level 2

hey viafax999...i apologize but is it possible to email or something and show you a picture of what i have? i tried to do step by step what you had told me but i still cant manage to get the netgear router to connect, is it because i have DD-WRT firmware running? the concept sounds very simple but **bleep** for someone like me that is not experience on these things is a bit complicated...i took a picture of the settings i put on there, i didnt change anything on VZ router

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@robledjl wrote:

DD-WRT should make no difference, all routers work the same way

I sent you a pm with my email address.

You will have to logon to the forums to see the mail, you can use your regular account id and passsword and then you should see a little yellow envelope on top right.

0 Likes