MI424WR-GEN2 / FW-20.10.7.5 Not allowing more than 1 IP address in MAC list
ndccpf1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I like to use MAC filter without WEP. The route will only allow 1 IP address even though you can enter more, apply to save settings....it only saves 1 IP address.

0 Likes
Re: MI424WR-GEN2 / FW-20.10.7.5 Not allowing more than 1 IP address in MAC list
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@ndccpf1 wrote:

I like to use MAC filter without WEP. The route will only allow 1 IP address even though you can enter more, apply to save settings....it only saves 1 IP address.

I can't help with the issue of allowing only one IP address, although I believe I have seen that issue posted before.

As to using MAC filtering without WEP, I hope you don't think that is secure.  MAC addresses are easily sniffed over the air, especially if not encrypted.  Then it is a simple matter of cloning that MAC address to bypass your filtering.

Much better to use WPA2 security.

AA1208
Enthusiast - Level 1

The trick is to do it over a WIRED connection. Unfortunately none of the technical material or the Verizon staff are clear on this. Figured this out after a day's tinkering and accidentally stumbled onto the solution. Good luck to you all. Let me know how it goes.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct ... set the MAC restrictions via a wired connection.  Doesn't work correctly when wireless.

As a previous poster indicated, MAC restrictions adds virtually NO security.  It's easily defeated -- those of us in the security space will tell you that it simply makes your job harder getting on the network, not that of someone looking to hack into your network.

In addition, if you've disabled WEP and haven't moved to a more secure protocol such as WPA/WPA2, then you have absolutely NO security on your network.   All traffic you send travels entirely in the clear for all to see.  

If that is the case, you need to update your security settings ASAP.

0 Likes