MI424WR-Gig version and Amped Wireless SB1000 Signal Booster
TeddyK1

Has anyone used the Amped Wireless SB1000 signal booster with the FIOS MI424WR?  

If so, what are your thoughts/recommendatoins?  Which antenna does it replace or are two needed?

I did request information from Actiontec, but don't think they understood the question (see below)     🙂

Resolution:
=========================
In regards to inquiries regarding replacement antennas you will need to contact 
Verizon at 1-888-553-1555

The MI424 isn't compatible with range extenders or repeaters or boosters as they 
require a protocol called WDS (Wireless Distribution Services).
The MI424 doesn't have this wireless protocol.
To extend or improve the range you would use a wireless Access Point. An AP is a 
bridge, you disable the MI424 wireless transmitter and use the AP instead.
The AP unit connects to the router by ethernet, you can then run the ethernet up 
to 300 feet from the router to locate the AP where your wireless systems are. 
You connect a computer to the AP and configure it to transmit the wireless.
we ourselves do not make antennas so we are unaware of what is available for 
booster antennas. The connector on the Router is a Reverse SMA. In regards to 
inquiries regarding replacement antennas you will need to contact Verizon at 
1-888-553-1555

Many thanks

0 Likes
Re: MI424WR-Gig version and Amped Wireless SB1000 Signal Booster
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TeddyK wrote:

Has anyone used the Amped Wireless SB1000 signal booster with the FIOS MI424WR?  

If so, what are your thoughts/recommendatoins?  Which antenna does it replace or are two needed?

I did request information from Actiontec, but don't think they understood the question (see below)     🙂

Resolution:
In regards to inquiries regarding replacement antennas you will need to contact 
Verizon at 1-888-553-1555

The MI424 isn't compatible with range extenders or repeaters or boosters as they 
require a protocol called WDS (Wireless Distribution Services).
The MI424 doesn't have this wireless protocol.
To extend or improve the range you would use a wireless Access Point. An AP is a 
bridge, you disable the MI424 wireless transmitter and use the AP instead.
The AP unit connects to the router by ethernet, you can then run the ethernet up 
to 300 feet from the router to locate the AP where your wireless systems are. 
You connect a computer to the AP and configure it to transmit the wireless.
we ourselves do not make antennas so we are unaware of what is available for 
booster antennas. The connector on the Router is a Reverse SMA. In regards to 
inquiries regarding replacement antennas you will need to contact Verizon at 
1-888-553-1555

Many thanks

They did understand the question and the answer(s) that they provided is correct.

0 Likes
TeddyK1

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  

I do believe they misunderstood as I am not looking to integrate WDS, but simply 'boost' the signal from the MI424WR.  I do not want a repeater/booster...rather a signal booster as Amped Wireless sells SB1000.  

WDS allows a wireless network to be expanded using multiple access points without the traditional requirement for a wired backbone to link them.

I want to use just the MI424WR with the SB1000 signal booster.............

Thanks

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
I don't believe they misunderstood. What they said was it would not work.
For you to disable the wireless on their product, and use a wireless access point that is better than their product. WOW ! Kudos for a honest answer!
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't know if the sb1000 will work or not, but it is actually just a powered antenna that replaces the existing antenna on a wireless router.  Verizon/Actiontec responded about  devices that use WDS which such antenna's do not.

The device is suppose claims it "* Works with certified devices with Reverse Jack SMA Antenna Connectors"

0 Likes
attrike
Enthusiast - Level 2

The answer provided is not correct. I have this signal booster on my M1424wr rev c and it works well. I am upgrading to rev i (Gig2) which has two antennas. I plan on testing the signal strength without the Amped versus with it in place of one of the two antennas. I'll let everyone know how that works out. Has anyone tried this configuration and if so, has it boosted range?

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

In that price range you can get a pretty decent dual band router (and much better throughput than even the Rev. I Actiontec.... which doesn't mean a whole lot.) It will be a bit more future proof and give you flexibility if you make changes to your network.

The Netgear N600 comes to mind, but you should do some homework, esp. if you are willing to go up a bit in price. That said, I don't have a ton of experience w/ Amped, and it may be worth it if you have a big house.

0 Likes
attrike
Enthusiast - Level 2

Using Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, my laptop was averaging an 8 to 10 dBm boost in signal strength from the Amped on my Actiontec M1424WR rev c router compared to the original antenna at a range of 40 feet through clear air. Since every 6-dBm increase in output power doubles the possible distance that is achievable, I'm getting about 3 times the range as advertised, ignoring obstacles that can reduce this gain. I expect a similar result from the Gig2 upgrade.

0 Likes
robhab

I just upgraded my service speed to 75/35 from 15/5 and received a new MI424WR ver I (2 smaller antennas) router to replace my original 4-yr old MI424WR (one large antenna) router.

This was a one for one swap  - EVERYTHING else (locations wireless devices etc are unchanged and identical)

My new wired speed is fantastic and wireless right next to the router is full signal and about 50% of wired speed which is great.

However - all the adjacent rooms now have crappy signals (one-bar instead of 4-bars) and speeds less than 1 Mb - a ten fold drop in performance.  Before the old router delivered almost 10 Mb wireless download speeds

3/4 of my house has now lost 90% of the old performance level - the upgrade ad said I would have more range not less.  I love the wired speed - but the rest of my household is quite upset. 

Radio signal from the new router is the culprit - nothing else has changed -  the wireless envirornment is identical before and after.

Version technical support just tried several different  router setting adjustments to boost my wireless speed - all attempts failed   The support technician just told me to add a "signal booster"  to the antenna on my brand new router.
He could not recommend any make or models - and told me to go to Radio Shack and look around.

I  assume he means something like the SB1000 signal booster - does any one disagree with his advice?

I also assume I just need one SB1000 - again - i am no radio expert and would appreciate some help before i waste more of my time - i am not getting any specific advice from either Version or Actiontec. 

0 Likes