mi424wr rev F, every 2 hours WAN dhcp renew drops connection for a few seconds
lricsin
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been having issues where my pandora or streaming web video would lose connection- also pidgin for AOL,yahoo,gtalk would disconnect.  Clicking reconnect for the music, video, or message client would work.

I didn't find out why until I started writing down the timing, like right now it happened.  

Here's the log as of 1:09 am EST:

Dec 11 17:08:33 2015 System Log WAN DHCP DHCP WAN connection IP:{edited for privacy},DNS:68.237.161.12 71.243.0.12 ,GTW:72.80.96.1,Subnet:255.255.255.0 (WAN Ethernet)
[repeated 5 times, last time on Dec 12 01:08:45 2015]

From the security log I find at around the same time NAT errors, due to losing the WAN ip for that short dhcp renew period:

Dec 12 01:08:47 2015 Firewall Info Rate Limit 3 messages of type [62] NAT Error: No free NAT IP suppressed in 1 second(s)
Dec 12 01:08:45 2015 Outbound Traffic Blocked - NAT Error: No free NAT IP [62] NAT Error: No free NAT IP:

I have a 3+ year old mi424wr rev F with ethernet WAN on 50/50.  Speeds are great. 

Every time the WAN dhcp renews its lease of 2 hours, it temporarily drops the connection!

I have tried many different settings in the router, to no avail.  I have also rebooted the ONT and router.

It doesn't happen if I use my linksys or netgear routers, (but they aren't fast enough to handle qos).

So, I contacted support via chat and they ran tests for both the ONT and router and see no issue with the line.

So they called me and connected me to billing to see how to get this old router replaced but we got disconnected.

Honestly, I don't need any more speed- so I don't feel like to pay extra for a router.   I just don't want my connection to drop/reconnect every 2 hours which can be annoying during a game!

Does anyone know of a fix, or is it something typical of the mi424wr rev F?

I haven't experienced it in the past, but I do see that they updated it recently.  Maybe the update is the problem, but when I tried to reset and roll back versions it would just get automatically updated by verizon push update!

Thanks in Advance for any help.

edit:

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: mi424wr rev F, every 2 hours WAN dhcp renew drops connection for a few seconds
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

FWIW, I have an Actiontec Rev I as my primary router and I don't have the problems you're describing.

It sounds to me like your router is failing.  I would try again to get tech support to send you a replacement.  Or, if you have a a Verizon retail store nearby you could try brining your router there to see if they'll give you a replacement.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Re: mi424wr rev F, every 2 hours WAN dhcp renew drops connection for a few seconds
lricsin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Edit:  Also, I can't get caller ID on STB to work, whether I have factory settings or my settings.  The box says available, I click test, it doesn't pop up.  Calls dont pop up... I run the diags and get a weird generic issue that it fails.

It happened last night a few times when asleep coinciding with any renewal!

The security log is giving me a great way to prove it in your logs!

Security log:

Dec 12 03:24:09 2015Outbound TrafficBlocked - NAT Error: No free NAT IP[62] NAT Error: No free NAT IP: [repeated 2 times, last time on Dec 12 09:24:21 2015]

System advanced log - I removed other events not important in between

Dec 12 09:24:21 2015System LogWAN DHCPDHCP WAN connection IP:{private},DNS:68.237.161.12 71.243.0.12 ,GTW:72.80.96.1,Subnet:255.255.255.0 (WAN Ethernet)
[repeated 2 times, last time on Dec 12 11:24:24 2015]

Dec 12 03:24:09 2015System LogWAN DHCPDHCP WAN connection IP:{private},DNS:68.237.161.12 71.243.0.12 ,GTW:72.80.96.1,Subnet:255.255.255.0 (WAN Ethernet)
[repeated 3 times, last time on Dec 12 07:24:17 2015]
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

FWIW, I have an Actiontec Rev I as my primary router and I don't have the problems you're describing.

It sounds to me like your router is failing.  I would try again to get tech support to send you a replacement.  Or, if you have a a Verizon retail store nearby you could try brining your router there to see if they'll give you a replacement.

Good luck.

click4dylan
Contributor - Level 1

had this same problem with a revision I. there is no solution other than getting a new router. I gave up with the revision I. always hated the actiontec routers. they were historically garbage. I still have two westell 9100EM's that don't have this problem and work perfectly, and the G1100 doesn't have this problem, but the G1100 has its own problems (it reboots itself every week at 2 AM, with no way to stop it)

lricsin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the replies. 
I didn't have this problem before. 

I have a syslog daemon setup and looked through the old logs to find something changed!  (btw you can set it to log to a remote computer in advanced options)

The lease is 2 hours, but the router used to renew every hour.  I assume that is why it wouldn't disconnect.  Renewing a lease before it expires, just extends the lease without having to "release, renew".

Tech support called me back and are sending a replacement router.

Unfortunately, they will be sending me another gen2.  For gen3 (the actiontec) or the gen4 (g1100) they want a monthly fee or a purchase price.

No, why should I have to purchase a device that is required part of their cable tv box service?

I know I can use my own router, but that has it's own hassles and makes it hard for support to help if I am not around and my father or sister call for help.

0 Likes
lricsin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, replacement router worked.  It's a rev I actiontec and has been solid since Wed.

Thanks for yall help.