MI424WR Rev I not connecting to Internet -- Westell 9100 works fine
MT73
Enthusiast - Level 3

I received a Actiontec MI424WR Rev I from Verizon to replace my Westell 9100.  In hooking up the Actiontec, it does not connect to the Internet. 

Everything comes up on on the Actiontec but the front panel Internet LED remains yellow and not green.  I checked the "Network Connections" and find the Broadband (Ethernet/Coax) is "Connected" and the WAN PPPoE "Connecting...".  This never changes.

I believe I correctly read somewhere that either a DHCP or PPPoE protocol is used (but not both?), so I reconfigured back to the Westell to see which protocol was used; the main screen indicated DHCP.  In the Westell setup, I disabled the WAN PPPoE and confirmed all was still good.  So the WAN PPPoE is "Disabled" on the Westell.

I go back to the Actiontec config and disable the WAN PPPoE and the router waits for the DHCP Lease a few minutes in the Broadband (Ethernet/Coax) field and the WAN PPPoE is Disabled.  After a bit, the Ethernet/Coax shows Connected, but now the WAN PPPoE is trying to connect (after having been previously disabled).  So, this is the state it remains in and service to the Internet is never obtained with the Actiontec.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MI424WR Rev I not connecting to Internet -- Westell 9100 works fine
Hubrisnxs
Legend
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Did you release the WAN IP address from the Westell before you removed it?

I have no hands on experience with the Westell, but if you can't dig around in its setup and find a place to release its IP address, try waiting a couple of hours after powering the Westell down before starting up the Actiontec.  Or even wait overnight with neither device powered up.

Or call Verizon tech support and ask them to release your IP address so you can connect a new device.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

How do I release my DHCP lease

has instructions for both models

MT73
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you!

I did not.

I will look over the link you sent.

0 Likes
MT73
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Hubrisnxs.  This worked fine.  We're all up now.

0 Likes