MI424WR REV I - Use a LAN port as WAN?
alex4108

Is it possible to use a LAN port as the WAN connection on my router?  I put my new 5GhZ router up in place of my MI424WR.  However, I'd like to use the MI424WR as a router for my test lab, in order to isolate my subjects.  The WAN port is only a 10/100 port.  The LAN switch has 10/100/1000 ports.  I want to be able to keep a gigabit between my lab router and main router.  Any way to do it?

0 Likes
Re: MI424WR REV I - Use a LAN port as WAN?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Doubtful.

I don't believe any router supports this.

That is why the label them differently.

0 Likes
Re: MI424WR REV I - Use a LAN port as WAN?
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Certain routers with various firmware do allow you to use a LAN port as a WAN connection.  For instance .ASUS routers support dual WAN connections.   The WAN port is normally used for the primary connection and then either a LAN port or a USB port is used for a secondary WAN connection.   I have a 4G usb modem that I keep connected to my router so that if my FIOS connection fails the USB modem connects and I maintain Internet service.

The Actiontec router doesn't offer this functionality.

However to accomplish what you want,  the isolation of your LAB network,   I would suggest that you double NAT your  Actiontec router behind your primary router.  Connect a cable from a LAN port on your primary router to the WAN port on your Actiontec.   Put the Actiontec in its own subnet (diffrent from the primary)  and your two networks are effectively isolated.   If you think you need gigabyte ports consider putting the Actiontec in as the primary router and double NAT your new router behind it.   This is how I run my netgwork and I have no problems.