Misleading router charges and returning my own equipment
rodrigog
Enthusiast - Level 1

I moved out of my apartment recently and discovered that the "Fios Quantum Gateway Router" charge that appeared on my bill for 3 years was not for the equipment that the installation team left (which I now know is called an ONT and is not billed), but for a Verizon branded router (and old MI424WR) that I purchased from Amazon before the installation team came to my house.  I was furious to learn that I had been charged $360 for a $60 piece of equipment that was not even Verizon's property, but I could not get anyone on the phone who could/would agree to reimburse me for these erroneos and possibly fraudulent charges.  I'm also not sure about this, but I may still be on the hook for returning my own router, which I trashed long ago after I figured out it was no different than any other wireless router, except that it enabled a customer service back-door.

Does anyone know if there is any recourse for this?

Best,

Rodrigo

0 Likes
Re: Misleading router charges and returning my own equipment
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is going to be tough.

You will have to look up Verizon terms of service online.It probably has a statue of limitations on how far back they will handle billing disputes.

You may not remember, but you were never given  a Verizon router at initial install?

rodrigog
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply.  I specifically told the installers that I had my own router, and that I did not want theirs.  One of them asked to see it to check if it was compatible, so I showed them the one I had purchased.  However, they must have written down its serial number or something, because the email I got reminding me to return "their" equipment had a picture of my router model (which was obsolete at the time of installation), as well as its serial.  Nevertheless, the installers then told me that I had to accept to use their ONT; so, since very few things are ever free, I figured that the monthly equipment charge was for that: "Quantum Gateway" could be marketing-speak for anything, so why not the thing they gave me.

Best,

-R

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi rodrigog,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes