MLB.TV / streaming stuttering and slow to load - no problems with Comcast Xfinity
icewiz

3 years ago, I had 15/5 FIOS and had trouble with slow load times for streaming services including Netflix (we now all know about those problems) and MLB.TV (heavy user).  I switched to Comcast (to try and fix the issues as well as lower price) and had a very good experience.  Very fast load times, no stuttering, good up times.

As Comcast prices have risen in my area, I decided to try both side-by-side to compare.  I had 50/25 FIOS installed but kept by 25/5 Comcast Xfinity running as well.  Other than the modem, I'm using the same 1 Gbps Ethernet switch all over my house and ALL of my devices (Roku, streaming DVD, etc) are directly connected via Ethernet.  No wireless connections and all of my devices have been power cycled for a clean boot with the new system.  The only difference is the modem and the source of the broadband pipe.

The good news is that I'm getting 60/30 service with good ping based on several download sites including the FIOS test site.  The bad news is that the MLB.TV and other streaming services on FIOS are all stuttering like crazy ... sometimes the stream pauses all together.  Obviously this is unacceptable for watching sports or movies.  

The FIOS stream takes a relatively long time to load (5-10 seconds) compared with Comcast "instant" start and will often stop, buffer for a few seconds, jump back, and then go forward for 30 seconds ... running out of buffer and starting again.  Other times it will play but at a reduced bitrate (pixelated resolution).  None of these problems exist when I use the (still active) Comcast connection and modem.  I had these problems with FIOS 3 years ago, and now they have immediately remanifest when switching back.  I'm frustrated.

If this continues, I'll need to cancel Verizon FIOS and continue with Comcast ... the price difference isn't worth it.  

Any thoughts from support?  thanks.

0 Likes
Re: MLB.TV / streaming stuttering and slow to load - no problems with Comcast Xfinity
hallrk
Contributor - Level 2

The problem may be with MLBTV. I have read were others with other services besides Fios have had problems this year. I have noticed in the last few days when I use Chrome to stream MLBTV there has been considerable stuttering of the picture. When I switch to IE it does just fine. I have the 50/25 FIOS myself and last year didn't have too many problems last season. But just going on what I have read from other sites I think MLBTV is having the problems more than the ISP providers. 

0 Likes
Re: MLB.TV / streaming stuttering and slow to load - no problems with Comcast Xfinity
icewiz

That would not explain why switching the coax/modem back to Comcast resolves the problems, both in buffering speed and stuttering.

This is not on a PC, this is on a network device like a Roku or Blu-Ray player.

If it were on the MLB server end I would be having trouble on my PC at other sites (I can generally stream over WiFi elsewhere) and the issue would not resolve itself by switching providers.

Also, I had this problem with FIOS 3 years ago ... so it is not something recent.

Thanks though, any other ideas?

0 Likes
JoeMan1
Enthusiast - Level 2

When on Verizon you could try using a custom DNS server to see if that resolves the problem.

0 Likes