MOCA 2.5 questions. Removing G1100 from system
KundiV21
Enthusiast - Level 2
Hello, I’ve got a Verizon fiber ONT and G1100, I currently have my G1100 set with router mode off and connect it to my orbi mesh WiFi. My home has three floors and the third floor is my office, but I receive slower speeds than the rest of my house. I am upgrading to moca so that I can place my main mesh WiFi router on the 2nd floor rather than the first. I am purchasing 2 Hitron bonded MOCA 2.5 adapters. Can I connect the Ethernet cable from my ONT to the moca adapter which will then split and send the signal to the rest of the home? This will completely eliminate the g1100 from the loop, is this possible?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MOCA 2.5 questions. Removing G1100 from system
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Connect the main Orbi and MoCA adapter with the ONT with ethernet. Then use MoCA adapters for wired backhaul to the other Orbis on the second and third floors. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. The ONT needs to connect to the Orbi's WAN port via ethernet. Then connect the Orbi's LAN port to the MoCA adapter along with the coax. The second MoCA adapter can then be placed on the 3rd floor office and connect to the Orbi node to give it a wired backhaul. 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you own the G1100? And do you have coax wire running around the house?

KundiV21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes and Yes

0 Likes
KundiV21
Enthusiast - Level 2

My goal is to place the "main" router on the second floor, the split the 3 satellites among the 3 floors, including the 2nd floor. From what I can understand from your reply, I would have to connect my ONT to the G1100 then the MOCA 2.5 adapter then the orbi on the second floor through coax, unless wired backhaul is faster.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You only want WiFi coverage throughout the house, no wired connection or future expansion necessary? I will give you a detailed plan once I know your situation and requirements.

Any WiFi 6 devices at home? What speed subscription do you have, or would like to upgrade to?

KundiV21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alright, thanks for the reply and here you go: I currently use an orbi system with 3 satellites. My orbi router and 1 satellite are on the 1 st floor, then 2 on the second floor, I also have a 3rd floor but when placing the satellite anywhere on the 3rd-floor speeds take a massive hit So I just use my 3rd-floor devices through wifi. I pay for 1gbps speeds but on the third floor, I only get 60-100 and rarely 200 when no one else is In the house. I would like to use the moca 2.5 adapters to keep the orbi "main" router on the second floor so that I can keep a satellite on the 1st and 3rd floor with another one on the other end of the 2nd floor. To do this I have now been told that I will need to connect my ONT to the G1100 then to the moca adapter then to the orbi router on the second floor through coax and a second moca adapter. Regarding wifi 6, it doesn't really matter to me, all phones and 1 computer use it and I plan on connecting the computer using ethernet. If there is anything I missed please ask

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Alright, since you mentioned Ethernet. Do you have Ethernet wire running around the house? Where's your ONT located? Where are all the coaxial and Ethernet cables terminated (e.g. next to the electrical panel...)? What model of Orbi do you have? How many LAN ports are behind the Orbi main?

KundiV21
Enthusiast - Level 2

No lan running around the house, coaxial for every room, all terminate at basement next to the electrical panel, Ont is on the first floor which has a coaxial that also comes to basement and splits for every room. Orbi is RBR50 with 3 extra lan ports 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Connect the main Orbi and MoCA adapter with the ONT with ethernet. Then use MoCA adapters for wired backhaul to the other Orbis on the second and third floors.