MOCA Adapters With Actiontec MI424WR
BmoreRavens410

Hi All -  I searched around but couldn't find the same setup as mine. 

ONT is in the basement.  ONT --> COAX upstairs to my Actiontec.  I have no Tv service, just internet.  I have a switch there that hooks up devices in my office.  My son has a gaming rig in basement and needs a hard wired connection.  We bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/Hitron-Ethernet-existing-Backbone-Streaming/dp/B08MQG6T61/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3OH...

Followed the steps and cannot get them to see each other even though they see each other directly plugged in.  I would assume the MOCA in the Actiontec is interfering in some way?  I even tried a new approved splitter for MOCA.

Do I need to move my ActionTec downstairs and hook up the ethernet?  Or can I somehow make this current setup work?

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MOCA Adapters With Actiontec MI424WR
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I see three problems in your setup.

1) Actiontec MI424WR is EOL and EOS long ago. Continued use is a security risk because there won't be any security patches.

2) You have coax from the ONT to your Actiontec, which suggests your Internet is delivered through MoCA WAN and is less than 100Mbps. Internet only plans with speeds less or equal to 100Mbps is grandfathered and is overpriced compared to 300/300 for $40 per month according to the current M&M pricing.

3) The Hitron MoCA adapters you bought is overpriced and perhaps no better than Fios Network Adapter, which gives you four Ethernet ports instead of one.

I would recommend you to 1) upgrade your router, just grab a used G1100 off Ebay for less than $40, and make sure it has VZ firmware. 2) upgrade your plan and run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the G1100 placed in the basement. 3) Maybe get another G1100 run in access point mode for your upper level WiFi coverage and wired devices.

The price of two G1100 is even less than two Hitron adapters. G1100 can deliver 500Mbps on MoCA. Is it more than enough for your needs?

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@BmoreRavens410 wrote:

Hi All -  I searched around but couldn't find the same setup as mine. 

ONT is in the basement.  ONT --> COAX upstairs to my Actiontec.  I have no Tv service, just internet.  I have a switch there that hooks up devices in my office.  My son has a gaming rig in basement and needs a hard wired connection.  We bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/Hitron-Ethernet-existing-Backbone-Streaming/dp/B08MQG6T61/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3OH...

Followed the steps and cannot get them to see each other even though they see each other directly plugged in.  I would assume the MOCA in the Actiontec is interfering in some way?  I even tried a new approved splitter for MOCA.

Do I need to move my ActionTec downstairs and hook up the ethernet?  Or can I somehow make this current setup work?

Thank you

I may be way off, but the ONT should have an ethernet jack on it along with the coax connection. Can you try running cat5 directly from the ONT to the gaming console?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I see three problems in your setup.

1) Actiontec MI424WR is EOL and EOS long ago. Continued use is a security risk because there won't be any security patches.

2) You have coax from the ONT to your Actiontec, which suggests your Internet is delivered through MoCA WAN and is less than 100Mbps. Internet only plans with speeds less or equal to 100Mbps is grandfathered and is overpriced compared to 300/300 for $40 per month according to the current M&M pricing.

3) The Hitron MoCA adapters you bought is overpriced and perhaps no better than Fios Network Adapter, which gives you four Ethernet ports instead of one.

I would recommend you to 1) upgrade your router, just grab a used G1100 off Ebay for less than $40, and make sure it has VZ firmware. 2) upgrade your plan and run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the G1100 placed in the basement. 3) Maybe get another G1100 run in access point mode for your upper level WiFi coverage and wired devices.

The price of two G1100 is even less than two Hitron adapters. G1100 can deliver 500Mbps on MoCA. Is it more than enough for your needs?