MoCa Issue
aadam101
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having a weird MoCa  problem that I am hoping someone can assist with.

My setup is as follows:

#1 ONT runs ethernet directly to a Netgear router.

#2 Verizon Actiontec router running in bridge mode is connected to the Netgear Router.

#3 Verizon Actiontec router running in bridge mode is connected in another room.

The Verizon Actiontec router running in bridge mode in another room (#3) keeps disconnecting from the network.  Wireless and DHCP are turned off.  I only have a Tivo connnected to it.  It constantly loses connection.  The other Actiontec (#2) is fine. It has no issues.  Any idea what the problem could be?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MoCa Issue
tns
Master - Level 2

Hopefully FIOS ran the cable so your not using old cable.  Better quality cable, good and tight connectors, and shorter runs all help.  If you check the page pointed to 208.1 is actually acceptable, not marginal.

From the DSLREPORTS FAQ

MOCA speeds

> 200 Mbpsacceptable
180 - 200 Mbpsmarginal
< 180 Mbpsunacceptable

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you considered checking the link speed of the MoCa connection going to the affected ActionTec? A low MoCa link speed should clue into whether or not the issue is due to a problem with the Coaxial cabling. The link speeds should be shown under the System Monitoring section of the ActionTec, in a readout of all of the ActionTec's connections.

aadam101
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't see anything that says "link speed".  What specifically should I be looking for?

Thanks

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1
aadam101
Enthusiast - Level 3

My speed is 208.1 which is marginal.. I am guessingthis is causing an issue.  How can I increase the speed?

I also noticed that when I look at the main Actiontec device (the one running in bridge mode that is connected to a Netgear router) the second adapter is listed as "inactive" under My Network.  It is listed the same when I look at the second adapter.  The main router also says it is "inactive" on the secondary routers. Both routers are indeed active and woring when it states this.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@aadam101 wrote:

My speed is 208.1 which is marginal.. I am guessingthis is causing an issue.  How can I increase the speed?

Marginal speed is usually due to a coax issue. 

• Check that all coax connections are tight. 
  • Check that splitters are okay. 
  • Ensure you don't have too many splitters.
0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Hopefully FIOS ran the cable so your not using old cable.  Better quality cable, good and tight connectors, and shorter runs all help.  If you check the page pointed to 208.1 is actually acceptable, not marginal.

From the DSLREPORTS FAQ

MOCA speeds

> 200 Mbpsacceptable
180 - 200 Mbpsmarginal
< 180 Mbpsunacceptable
aadam101
Enthusiast - Level 3

The problem seems to have resolved itself.  It hasn't disconnected in about 48 hours.  I do have a faster splitter that I'm going to put on.  Thanks for everyones help!

0 Likes