Modem confused and not connecting to my Router
Confusedserial

I recently got Fios and the tech set up the Verizon modem with my previously purchased Verizon router. The internet and WiFi worked fine for about 2 days. Somewhere in that timeframe the modem started talking to another router that I do not own / was not in my home. The Fios app reflected this different router and its serial number. The tech came back and switched out my router - provided me a new one - and set up the internet. Again it worked for 2 days and again the modem started talking to a different router. Another tech came and switched the modem itself saying it was a problem in my area and it wasn’t the router but the modem. It worked for 2 days and again the modem started talking to a different router. Each time I call I explain and their only solution is sending a tech but at this point both devices have been replaced. How does the modem keep switching to a nonexistent (or at least nonexistent in my home) router. I’ve also tried to connect directly via Ethernet from the modem to my laptop and it doesn’t work. Currently I have 4 lights on the modem (power, battery, data, and network) but it’s missing “mgmt”. My Fios G1100 router has the globe lit in red while the WiFi is in white. 

I’m cancelling Verizon soon if I have to get another tech here to fix the problem for just 2 days or less of service. The phone tech support don’t even understand the problem until I ask them to read the serial number of the router they think I have and it’s always wrong.  

One more note: my app tells me all these devices are logged in (“enabled”) like a google home and an appleTV - devices that I don’t own. To me it seems that  someone hacking my internet and Verizon doesn’t know how to deal with it. 

0 Likes
Re: Modem confused and not connecting to my Router
jonjones1
Legend

Fios does not use modems. That is the issue.

they use ONT-Routers then to the internet. If tv you have a set top box in the mix.

no modems.

0 Likes
Confusedserial

I don’t have TV service and yes the modem I’m referring to is the ONT box. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Confusedserial wrote:

I don’t have TV service and yes the modem I’m referring to is the ONT box. 

You have me a bit confused.

do you have an internal ONT in your home, garage, or apartment? Or do you live in a apartment complex where the ONT is not within your control.

or do you have one of the older outside grey boxes attached to the side of your house?

you cannot have another customers service unless the installer did not allocate the service to your home. 

I am not an installer, but many times when folks say they have another’s connection it’s the WiFi and not the ONT but even grabbing on to another’s WiFi is iffy. It would need to use the same password as your own and that is not possible.

0 Likes
Re: ONT/Modem confused and not connecting to my Router
Confusedserial

I live in NYC in a building. The Main ONT is in the basement. The box that it’s connected to in my apartment is a black box that has the 9 or so lights plus the battery that has a blue ONT reset button (that’s what I refer to as the modem).

I am not getting any internet from the box/modem if I plug the Ethernet straight to my laptop. My computer tells me there is no IP configuration. 

I use that same Ethernet cable to connect that box directly to my verizon router.  also not getting any internet via the router - instead my Fios app tells me that the ONT / modem / internet is connected to a different router with a different password that is not in my possession. When the technicians come they connect me and have the internet and WiFi working fine then some networking happens on the backend and I lose connection and the app changes my router’s serial number, WiFi login PW, and lists devices I don’t have. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you are referring to as the modem is the ONT. If the MGMT light is out that is why you internet is not working. 

If it keeps going out there must be something else that is the issue. Unfortunately that sounds like a weird issue and might take a few visits before a tech can pin point the problem. 

0 Likes
Re: ONT/Modem confused and not connecting to my Router
jonjones1
Legend

Like the last replyer stated call in and get another service call set up.

lets not confuse the situation “VERIZON DOES NOT USE MODEMS” don’t even say that on the phone. 

If your service is going to keep turning on and off and Verizon cannot fix it contact the NYS Department of Public Service http://www.dps.ny.gov (Public Service Commission)

they regulate Verizon.

additionally in NYC there is another government office that regulates verizons services and repairs.

0 Likes