MODERATOR - I NEED HELP WITH ROUTER!!!
BIOENGR

My services: Fios TV/Internet/Phone

Equipment: Westell connected via Coax, Linksys WRT610N

The wireless range on my westell is not good and I never get good connections to any of my devices, so after my last post, I went out and bought another wireless router; linksys wrt610n. Now I need to connect it properly. I just want to add it on to the westell. Do I just plug in a cat5 to a lan port on the westell to the "internet" port on the linksys? What else do I need to specifically change in order to get this to work? I'd like to use the linksys both wirelessly and wired since it has gigabit. Please advise! (ps. I read A LOT of posts, but none seemed to have a clear definitive answer for me... In fact I tried some, and then just got locked out, so I reset everything back to old settings).

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: MODERATOR - I NEED HELP WITH ROUTER!!!
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

There are two basic ways to connect your router.

1)  The easiest is simply run a cat5 cable from a LAN port on the Westell to the WAN port on the Linksys.  If you do this, the Linksys must have a diifferent LAN subnet from the Westell.  i.e.  if the Westell is 192.168.1.x, make the Linksys 192.168.2.x.  If you need port forwards to any device behind the Linksys, you will need to create the port forwards in both routers.

2)  The other approah is to connect a cat5 cable from a LAN port on the Westell to a LAN port on the Linksys.  If you do this, you need to disable the DHCP server on the Linksys and assign the Linksys a LAN IP address on the Westell subnet  (192.168.1.2).

BTW, this is a peer-to-peer forum where other users answer questions.  Moderators are are helpful for moving posts to the correct forum and for keep the forum civil.  They generally do not provide technical answers.

0 Likes