Monitoring Software for chat and websites visited...
jasonm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there software available I can use to monitor chat and website activity of devices on my LAN and WIFI using my MI424WR  router?

Re: Monitoring Software for chat and websites visited...
Hubrisnxs
Legend
I think the verizon parental control software will do that. Log into your account at www.myverizon.com and then after your logged in go to www.verizon.com/freetools its called family protection. Or take a look at www.opendns.com it's free
0 Likes
jasonm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

The OpenDNS won't allow me to monitor chat services.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

download the  Verizon Family Protection User Guide (PDF).

see if it will do what you want it to do.   It's free, you just have to log in to download it. 

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

the only problem with the family protection is that it is computer based, not router/network based. So it will have to be installed on the computer and it will monitor only the computer, not the network. From the sounds of the OP, it sounded like he was wanting to check and see who is chatting or going to what websites and from what computer.

As far as I know, there is not a way to do this on a router level. Again AFAIK, you would have to set up a server with monitoring software and have all your computers go through the server then to the internet. Or have to put the monitoring software on each computer that you want watched.

jasonm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I could use Wireshark if I could set it up a monitoring port on the Actiontec does anyone knowif this is possible?  I haven't been able to find anything yet.  I gues another option could be to setup a hub between the router and coax, but I don' t know if such a device exists.  I haven't found anything on my Google searches.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Microsoft also offers a web based application called Windows Family Safety that can monitor chat.

0 Likes
LynJean

StaffCop Home – it is use for analyzing and monitoring the user’s activity. It observes and studies internet-activity, trail web site visits, IM confabulations (ICQ, Skype, and OBJECT), social networking activity and tracking website visits. As well as it can monitor PC screen via screenshots. You may check the staffcop on their website staffcop.com/home. Other software for screen monitoring is webwatcher and time doctor.

Windows Live Family Safety 2011, works well also, it can easily review the users' online activities. It can also limit email and instant messaging access to approved contacts on Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger.

0 Likes
sieghart
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know a software that might be useful to you it is a screen monitoring software that monitor which application,document, and website that is actively being use. Also it can determine how long you spend on a particular website, document or application. I hope that this will help you.

TimeTracking

Yes, there are some tools to track or monitor the monitor. But I think that unfair, isn't it? We use a tool for tracking time - time clock that lets us know what an employer was doing in a particular time or time period. Would it be helpful to you?

0 Likes