Motorola ONT1000GJ4 - lacking power dongle
ralfeg7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, I am currently trying to self install Fios. I had Fios in this exact apartment several years ago. I moved away for work and moved back into the same exact apartment. I signed up for Fios and am trying to self install (since I had it before). When I plug in the ONT nothing happens, no lights, no beeps, nothing. I open up the ONT. 

The black cord in the bottom right is the power supply. I have verified the power stip I am plugging it into works because my printer is plugged into the same thing. As you can see the power supply just ends inside the ONT, there is nothing providing power to the actual ONT. The green wire coming off the end of the power supply is just a ground. I believe the cord at the top left is supposed to be plugged into the power supply through a dongle that is missing. 

My theory is the resident who had this apartment inbetween me unplugged the ONT, got tired of the beeping (from the battery), and totally de-powered the ONT. When I opened up the ONT the battery was totally unplugged as was what I think is the power cord for the actual ONT. How can I get this fixed. image

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Motorola ONT1000GJ4 - lacking power dongle
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the ONT was completely shut off and is an older model, Verizon will not let you self install.  They will send a tech who will figure all of this out.  They will likely rip out all the existing equipment except the fiber and install completely new equipment.

If you sign up online, they should waive the installation charge.

Note that the current installation approach is to run Ethernet from the ONT to the router.  If you don't have an Ethernet run, you can either install it yourself ahead of time or let the Verizon tech run it for you.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

All BBUs have reached end of life, and you should replace them with a UPS of your choice for Internet backup. I believe the ONT is also out of date. Other CLs can chime in to confirm.

The easiest thing for you to do is to request a tech install. The tech install should be free if you have ordered the service online.

ralfeg7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I am aware this ONT is out of date. What I am looking for is confirmation that there is a piece missing inside the ONT - a cord that runs from the actual power plug to the innards of the ONT. As of now the power cord is just running into the unit but nothing is attached to the cord itself, it would be like placing the end of an extension cord inside a fridge and expecting it to run. I'm looking for confirmation that something is wrong with the power supply, I'm not concerned with the battery. 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can a few pictures of the ONT be posted? Verizon installed a Tellabs 611 in our house and the power connections might be different than the Motorola's.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the ONT was completely shut off and is an older model, Verizon will not let you self install.  They will send a tech who will figure all of this out.  They will likely rip out all the existing equipment except the fiber and install completely new equipment.

If you sign up online, they should waive the installation charge.

Note that the current installation approach is to run Ethernet from the ONT to the router.  If you don't have an Ethernet run, you can either install it yourself ahead of time or let the Verizon tech run it for you.

ralfeg7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Some interior components were indeed missing. Verizon sent out a tech the next day who took one look at the 10+ year old ONT and decided to replace it. Everything is fixed and the new ONT take up about 30% as much space as the previous box. It's all set!