Re: Moved to new house, ONT ethernet cable plug chopped off
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

In the top picture, I see an "A1". I can't see it clearly, but, I suspect that the blocked portion says "B1".

The last investigative step would be to pop the top cover off of the Ethernet jack and match the pattern that the green & orange pairs are punched down. That will reveal how the other end of the cable needs to be set up. 🙂

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's a jack that can be wired as either 568A or 568B.  The difference is where the orange and green pairs are punched down.  As dexman said, pop the dust cap and see which color goes where.  Then match it to the "A" or "B" color codes on the side, and you'll know what you have!

Like dsl4595148, I also recommend you pickup a cheap cable tester.  For $10-$15, you can get a device that confirms everything is connected properly.   You can find them online or maybe at the hardware store.  It will save a lot of headaches.

Also consider Edg1's suggestion to install a jack near the ONT instead of a plug.  Jacks are a lot easier to install than plugs.  Use a 6-inch Ethernet patch cable to connect the ONT to the jack, and you'll be done.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Routers and ONTs all support auto-MDI-X. Even if you have A to B, B to B, A to A, it would work.