Moved to new house, ONT ethernet cable plug chopped off
Verizzon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, I recently moved to a new house and I have my fios services moved couple days ago. When I try to connect my router in the new house I don't have my internet connection. I spoke to customer support and they instructed me to open ONT box and we found the ethernet cable hanging there without rj45 plug. 

Tech support guy asked me to connect my laptop to ONT ethernet jack using Router`s ethernet cable and he was right my internet is working when I did that. 

Now I have 2 options..

Option 1. Go with tech support, they charge 99$ for someone to come and fix rj45 jack

Option 2. I do it myself, buy rj45 jack from Lowes or Homedepot and connect it to the hanging wire. 

1. Do you guys think me doing #2 is easy? or save some trouble and pay 99$ ?

2. Also for Option 2: what type of rj45(CAT 5E or CAT6) should I be buying?  

3. What pinout wiring should I be using(T568B or T568A) ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Moved to new house, ONT ethernet cable plug chopped off
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's a jack that can be wired as either 568A or 568B.  The difference is where the orange and green pairs are punched down.  As dexman said, pop the dust cap and see which color goes where.  Then match it to the "A" or "B" color codes on the side, and you'll know what you have!

Like dsl4595148, I also recommend you pickup a cheap cable tester.  For $10-$15, you can get a device that confirms everything is connected properly.   You can find them online or maybe at the hardware store.  It will save a lot of headaches.

Also consider Edg1's suggestion to install a jack near the ONT instead of a plug.  Jacks are a lot easier to install than plugs.  Use a 6-inch Ethernet patch cable to connect the ONT to the jack, and you'll be done.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't go with #1. It is not cost effective for you and for Verizon.

For #2, buy a RJ45 crimper and RJ45 plugs from Lowe/Home Depot/others. Then take 5 minutes to learn and crimp the RJ45 connector yourself. You could also ask around in your neighborhood to see who has a crimper and a spare connector to lend. Telco and IT people should stock them regularly.

Verizzon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your comment.. Below is my current ONT box(Blue wire is hanging and I am guessing this one should have rj45 plug and should be plugged into the ethernet). For Rj45 what should be the pin out wiring >I see 2 types : T568A and T568B?imageBlue wire hanging

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ultimately, using 568A or 568B is a matter of personal preference. For me that would be 568B for new cable runs.

If a cable exists and is terminated on one end, the other end needs to be the same.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can also connect a rj45 keystone and baseboard jack. Can be a little easier than crimping on a male rj45 end. As the other posters said just make sure it's the same on both end but B is more common. 

Verizzon
Enthusiast - Level 2

how do I know the other side is same? the other end is wall jack inside my living room

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
@Verizzon wrote:

how do I know the other side is same? the other end is wall jack inside my living room

Here is my two cents.

After you install the cables you will to test them with a cable tester. Because that is true, I strongly suggest getting a cable tester. Which I am pretty sure it will tell you (not literally) which type it is. For example mine tells me based upon how sequence of the lights that light on and off.

As an example points to and quotes part of https://www.wikihow.com/Test-an-Ethernet-Cable

If the lights on either end flash out of order, this indicates that you are testing a crossover cable

😉

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If possible, look at the back of the jack. There should be two color codes spelled out where the conductors are punched down. One code is for 568A and the other is for 568B. Match the code with way the wires are arranged.

If a good picture of the back of the jack and wires can be taken post it and we can have a look/see.

Verizzon
Enthusiast - Level 2

imageback side of wall jackimageback side of wall jack

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Once the pictures have been approved by a moderator, we'll check them out. 🙂