Moving an ONT
TM
I want to move the ONT to another part of my utility room but the outside plant service loop in the ONT tray isn't long enough. I've already moved the ONT and BBU once  so I know how easy it is.  I have looked but can't seem to find any optical extension cables available anywhere that match the VZ form factor.  Anyone know if they are available, or do I need to have VZ rerun the aerial?  Thanks
0 Likes
Re: Moving an ONT
prisaz
Legend

@TM wrote:
I want to move the ONT to another part of my utility room but the outside plant service loop in the ONT tray isn't long enough. I've already moved the ONT and BBU once  so I know how easy it is.  I have looked but can't seem to find any optical extension cables available anywhere that match the VZ form factor.  Anyone know if they are available, or do I need to have VZ rerun the aerial?  Thanks
They would not need to rerun the aerial, but do a fiber splice. Any way you look at it, it's a truck roll. When my FIOS was installed in the basement I had a PVC pipe run to the location where I had installed a 24"x24" AC plywood on the wall, and the cable end would not fit through the 3/4" pipe. The splice only took a few minutes. But you are probably looking at about $80 for the truck roll. Don't know what they would charge for material if anything. Just make sure you let them know you will need a FIOS cable splice and extension. I am not sure if all techs carry splice kits. Perhaps one of the Verizon people here can shed some light on this. No light pun intended.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Splicing the drop is one option.  Sometimes i't easier just replacing it.  As far as I know there is no extension available.  Personally I wouldn't recommend it anyways;  It just adds more loss to the light feeding your Ont. 

Although I applaud your energy to relocate the Ont yourself, there is one thing you need to strongly consider.  Your Ont has to be within 20" of your Grounded Fuse panel feeding your home.  Verizon is strongly regulated by the Psc to meet these standards.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Provider7 wrote:

Splicing the drop is one option.  Sometimes i't easier just replacing it.  As far as I know there is no extension available.  Personally I wouldn't recommend it anyways;  It just adds more loss to the light feeding your Ont. 

Although I applaud your energy to relocate the Ont yourself, there is one thing you need to strongly consider.  Your Ont has to be within 20" of your Grounded Fuse panel feeding your home.  Verizon is strongly regulated by the Psc to meet these standards.

Good points. They did a clean splice, and did not show loss issues when tested. But mine may have been an exception.
0 Likes
TM

Thanks Provider.  The splice here is unlikely since it's not a duct size issue or anything - I think they would just opt to swap the 150' aerial with the next  (I think the trucks carry them in 50' increments).  I knew an extension would pad the light a little bit, but it is pretty hot here anyway, so a little loss didn't seem like it would be a problem.

Re the 20" rule - 1) I am guessing it was a typo and you meant 20' (feet)? 2) It will be within 20', but what is the rationale for that guideline?  If I have a dedicated circuit with a dedicated ground, and I also provide a ground bar with a #6 drain to ground, what other risks could exist?  (BTW - the techs [at least in northeast MA] don't even connect the ground - they just leave it coiled inside the cabinet).

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Yep, purely a typo...I did mean 20'

Regarding grounding...Personally I think's it's nonsense, but they are considering Fios in the same catagorie as Cable Tv.  Some genius made up some electrical standard for grounding and signal loss.  Consider all their cables going through miles of neighborhoods...Grounding is important to keeping the signal contained within it's shield. 

Fios is different and this is what I dont get...it's all contained within the home...however we still have to follow those same grounding procedures.

0 Likes
Penguinboy

Provider7-

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question regarding the 20' rule...  My electrical panel is on the opposite side of my basement from where the phone comes in-probably 30' away.  Phone comes through sill, then box right on a joist, then wire out to one phone.  Right under where the phone comes in is where town water and sewer come in and that's where my breaker panel is grounded to.  I have an install scheduled for this Thursday.

Won't the installer just ground to the town water main, just like the panel is?  It's probably a 5 foot drop to the main from where I plan on putting the backerboard for the FIOS.   Or does he have to go all the way to the panel?  Thanks in advance!

-Danny 

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
From what I understand, I used to ground to the water pipe.  It was an accepted practice to ground there as long as it was within 2' from the outside wall.  I think they changed that.   I'll look into it tomorrow for you.
0 Likes
Penguinboy

Provider7-

Thanks very much!  I appreciate the help!  Our water main comes through the foundation, about 6 inches off the floor, and runs along the foundation about 3 feet, then the meter, then up the foundation wall and then overhead to the water heater about 7 feet away.  The  ground from the panel clamps on the main right before the meter connection (it's on the town side, so even if the meter is disconnected for some reason, the ground is still intact...)

We have our install Thursday here in MA and I'm just trying to lay it out nice and neat or the installer, as I'm snaking coax and cat5 through walls.  I'm hoping he'll put the ONT in the basement, as our TV is right above where I want the ONT to go, which is only a few feet from where the electric grounds to the water main.  I want the modem/router to go right at the TV, then cat5 from the router, through the wall and upstairs to our office for the computer.  Will he run cat5 and coax from the ONT to the router or just coax?  Is there a benefit to run both?

-Danny 

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

I reviewed tha latest release on grounding practices posted last month...It clearly states that we are to ground our ONT within 20' of the electrical panel...The Cold water line is no longer an accepted practice.

Hi Danny,

You asked "Will he run cat5 and coax from the ONT to the router or just coax?  Is there a benefit to run both?"  Unless you have a specific need for Cat5 to your router then he will more than likely just run Coax to the router.  Then only real benefit to running Cat5 is the availability to integrate your own router.

0 Likes