Moving my network extender
jackjack178
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I currently have a network extender sitting in the middle of my hallway and I wanted to move it closer to my office so that I could use a wired connection. In the office there is a coax line that runs down to the front of my house to a cable box. I went into the cable box and there was a chart mapping each line to each room (the outlets were also labeled). So I found the room I was looking to set it up in and swapped out the line that was already plugged in with the line to that room. Unfortunately, my extender does not appear to be working with this line.

The line that it was previously plugged into was labeled V for video and the one it is plugged into now is also labeled V for video. However, the old line also ran alongside a phone line (sharing the outlet) and the new line does not.

Is there any hope that my router may work with the video line? And if so what are the steps to getting my network extender to work in the office?

Thanks,

Noah

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Moving my network extender
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

So you are saying that there is a main panel in basement with all your coax lines? Do you have a main splitter in it? If so then plug each coax in and it should work. The coax light on the extender will light up when it gets a signal. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

So you are saying that there is a main panel in basement with all your coax lines? Do you have a main splitter in it? If so then plug each coax in and it should work. The coax light on the extender will light up when it gets a signal. 

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are all coax cable in the cable box connected to a splitter of some sort? Are there any unplugged?

It sounds like you definitely found the line running to the office. Try to trace the wire going into the house, and see if there are any splitters in between. Sometimes older cable TV splitters don't support MoCA frequencies (what the extenders use to talk to the router).

jackjack178
Enthusiast - Level 1

That worked. I had an 8-way splitter and I just plugged everything into it instead of the 2-way it was already in and it started working. I think the cables were just mislabeled.

Thanks,

Noah

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your welcome. Glad to help. 

0 Likes