Moving ONT power supply outside?
Andrew1233

Hello All,

We have our ONT mounted on the outside wall of our home under a very large over hang (which is to say: outside, but not exposed to rain/snow). Originally, we mounted the power-supply indoors just on the other side of the wall in an unfinished basement.

However, we're now finishing the basement and the original power supply location (which was inside) is no longer usable. I would DESPERATELY like to move the power supply outside next to the ONT.

However, all the googling I've done said that this is a no-no.

But I can't be the first person with this problem.

Is it possible to to get an outdoor rated power-supply? (I can locate an outlet or dedicated line right next to it)

If not, does anyone have any tricks for housings I could just buy to mount it in? (It's a brick wall, so this is going to stick out no matter how it happens.)

And, observationally: why does this problem even exist in the first place?

Seems like a silly design flaw to have an outdoor unit require indoor power.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

0 Likes
Re: Moving ONT power supply outside?
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am quite certain that Verizon does not offer an outdoor power supply.

I believe the reason for keeping the power supply units indoors is due to it not just being a power supply, but a battery backup as well.

I'm also not completely certain on the temperature ratings (There are different power supply models), you would have to look up your model. If there is a maximum and minimum temperature that may also be another factor as to why the unit isn't outside. However, if you live in an area where it dosen't get extremely hot/cold, you should be able to find a waterproof enclousure and put  it outside. But make certain that it would be waterproof and would fit the case.

Perhaps something like this would work: http://amzn.com/B0042ZKWBG

You would need to get your measurements and make sure everything fits nicely.

I can't say I'm any kind of expert when it comes to the power supplies, but thats just my two cents.

Happy new year! Smiley Happy

Re: Moving ONT power supply outside?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In most cases Verizon located ONTs indoors, since the outdoor units are subjected to more wear and tear. There is not a BBU + Power Supply that can really live outside. Verizon can help find a better spot for the BBU and PSU if you have a place in mind indoors. The location does need to be near a common ground, however.