Re: Moving Router
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@drbozai wrote:
... since the Fios router works with living room port ... with the exception of no internet access, is the only problem finding it and connecting the other end to the splitter? ...

Well, actually it doesn't "work" in the sense that there is no network connection.  The only lights you see are the power LED because the router is plugged in.

Yes, we want to take the living room cable and secure it to the open port on the FiOS splitter.  The issue is, where in the world in your building is the other end?

Let me ask this: have you ever at any time successfully used the coax in the living room for anything, including a router, TV, etc.?   I think I know the answer, but why don't you just tell me.

@drbozai wrote:

...  my other questions is, where are the other two cables (family room, and master bedroom) outside, they used to work! ... 

Did we not already establish that these cables are currently used for the Dish install?

Here's what I would do.  Run a new coax from the FiOS splitter into the building and terminate it at some convenient location on the first floor.   Alternatively, just connect a piece of coax to one of the working coax cables in the basement and run it to the first floor somewhere, and fit the router there.

In other words, forget about the living room coax. After all we've done you still haven't found it and believe me, I'm not coming over there to look for it. Simply connect your FiOS router to the new coax and you will have Wi-Fi where you want it.

0 Likes
drbozai
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did we not already establish that these cables are currently used for the Dish install?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dish tech actually ran new coax wires from the sattelite dish into the dish splitter so I'm not sure where they really went.

Now, the living room port was never used for something, as far as I've lived here.

How would I go about running the wire from the basement to the 2nd floor? Without it being in the way all the time?

Sorry for so many questions

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@drbozai wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dish tech actually ran new coax wires from the sattelite dish into the dish splitter so I'm not sure where they really went ...

Well then how did he get the coax to your family room and your bedroom?.  Are you saying he ran new coax to each location?  I doubt this is the case.

@drbozai wrote:
... the living room port was never used for something, as far as I've lived here ...

Which convinces me that it is "junk" cable (as does the photo you supplied), and it should not be considered any further.

@drbozai wrote:

How would I go about running the wire from the basement to the 2nd floor? Without it being in the way all the time? ...

Try typing "home coax wiring" into Google and see what happens.
0 Likes
drbozai
Enthusiast - Level 2

All in all I think this home was pre-wired for dish in those ports (family and master bed), and I think the dish tech was lucky that he didn't have to run new coax wires up the house.  I think the home coax wiring might be too much for me, since I dont own this home.  I guess I'll have to live with router in the basement.  Thanks for the geat and extensive help anyways.  Also I've read something about the ethernet port on the ONT, would that do me any good?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@drbozai wrote:

I've read something about the ethernet port on the ONT, would that do me any good?

Yes, you can use a cat5 connection from the ONT to the router, but I don't see how that's going to help you because you would still have to run cat5 cable from the ONT to where you want the router.

Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

0 Likes