Moving to internet-only - G1100 router and other questions
global12
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am considering changing my fios service to internet-only and have a few questions.

I purchased the Fios gateway g1100 router and Actiontec WCB6200Q extender 4 or 5 years ago. Should I just keep using these or update to a new router? If I get a new router do I need to ask FIOS to activate the ethernet port on the ONT?

My current speed is 1 Gb for when we had more people in the house but were are down to 2 people so I am thinking that I will lower the speed to 100 Mbps. Is that fast enough. No gaming - only 2 TV's and internet surfing.

For phone service I was thinking to use Ooma. Has anyone had experience with that? Are there better products than Ooma?

I will use Roku's in our TV's with Youtube TV.  Are there any other considerations that I need to think about?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Moving to internet-only - G1100 router and other questions
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you're on 1Gbps service, you already have Ethernet WAN.  There is nothing to be switched.

Your current equipment will continue to work.  The new Verizon router has WiFi 6, which is faster.  Some report it has better range.  I've not tested it.  The old extenders to not work with the new router; you would need to upgrade it, too.  If you're happy with your current WiFi speed and range, I recommend you stay with your current equipment.

There are lots of VoIP choices out there.  Ooma is decent, so is Vonage.  If you're willing to do a little more work and configure your own equipment, Google Voice and other providers offer even lower (if not zero) costs.

View solution in original post

Re: Moving to internet-only - G1100 router and other questions
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you're on 1Gbps service, you already have Ethernet WAN.  There is nothing to be switched.

Your current equipment will continue to work.  The new Verizon router has WiFi 6, which is faster.  Some report it has better range.  I've not tested it.  The old extenders to not work with the new router; you would need to upgrade it, too.  If you're happy with your current WiFi speed and range, I recommend you stay with your current equipment.

There are lots of VoIP choices out there.  Ooma is decent, so is Vonage.  If you're willing to do a little more work and configure your own equipment, Google Voice and other providers offer even lower (if not zero) costs.