Multiple Device slowing internet?
RealPotato
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm a little bit confused about my internet speed (wired). I have 50/50 mbps fios internet speed. During day, when most of my family memebers are out, the download speed is normal (50/50). However at night, the download speed takes a huge dump down towards a download speed ranging from 15~35 mbps, while the upload remains the same (5).

So im assuming that its because when all the family memebers are home, theres 8~10 devices connected to the internet? Even though when half of the mobile+tablet devices are not in use (but are connected through Wi-Fi), it takes up a lot of bandwidth? 

My Devices 

1 PC wired

1~2 PC wireless

4 mobile devices

1~2 Tablet devices

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Multiple Device slowing internet?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try a series of tests:

1) During the day, run to speedtest.verizon.net via a wired PC. You should get your contracted speed or a bit more.

2) Repeat when everyone is home.

3) Repeat a second time asking everyone to power off or disconnect their devices.

If there is a huge difference bteween 2&3, then it is the other members of your house.

But unless they are all streaming video or doing intensive bandwidth items like online gaming, I would suspect they aren'tt he cause.

Most devices don use much bandwidth unless streaming video or other high bandwidth applications. A tablet or other mobile device sitting there does almost nothign even if connected.

If you have a big difference bwtween 1&3, then there is an issue on the Verizon network in your area.

But most likely your Verizon connection is fine and it is just the fact that more people at home in the evening everywhere cause more traffic on the Internet causing slowdowns.

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably network congestion between Verizon and whatever sittes you are going to.  Just keeping connections with multiple devices is not going to effect speed much.  Obviously multiple heavy users within your home network will slow things.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try a series of tests:

1) During the day, run to speedtest.verizon.net via a wired PC. You should get your contracted speed or a bit more.

2) Repeat when everyone is home.

3) Repeat a second time asking everyone to power off or disconnect their devices.

If there is a huge difference bteween 2&3, then it is the other members of your house.

But unless they are all streaming video or doing intensive bandwidth items like online gaming, I would suspect they aren'tt he cause.

Most devices don use much bandwidth unless streaming video or other high bandwidth applications. A tablet or other mobile device sitting there does almost nothign even if connected.

If you have a big difference bwtween 1&3, then there is an issue on the Verizon network in your area.

But most likely your Verizon connection is fine and it is just the fact that more people at home in the evening everywhere cause more traffic on the Internet causing slowdowns.

RealPotato
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hm, i'll give it another test when everyone's home. Hopefully i can find out what the problem is.

If the problem is the Verizon network in my area, what do i do?

Call Verizon and inform them of this issue? Or just wait untill its resolved by Verizon? cause this this issue only started happening since 1-2 weeks ago.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the speed test on the Verizon network doesn't show your contracted rate, contact Verizon support. That means your connection has a problem that they will need to fix

TJDONN

I have both xfinity and verizon, both are 200gb speed.  I also have trouble with my network getting consistent good speed when connected to verizon. Speedtests usually come back 200+ even when having issues.  I have 2 switches, and 3 eero wifi's and about 30 devices some wired and wireless.   My wife and I both work from home and when on the xfinity there are no issues, on the verizon she cannot work because her open documents freeze up (network drive through VPN).  We are both using ethernet.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!