My Ationtec rougher keeps switching the channel I set it to run on
Gage5
Enthusiast - Level 3

Who do I get my verizon router to stop changing the channel I set it for to avoid interference. I set it and the net day it's changed.  Is there a setting to check or uncheck to stop it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My Ationtec rougher keeps switching the channel I set it to run on
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If I remember correctly, assuming you're running the ActionTec MI424WR, there are two checkboxes in regards to channels that you'll need to pay attention to for you manual channel selection to stick.

1: Make sure the checkbox or drop-down to auto-select the channel has been unchecked/changed to the manual channel setting.

2: VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure to check the box that your setting should persist through a router reboot. This is a gotcha that can happen.

If the router is still moving off of Auto Channel despite these settings, or if you find them reverting in the Web GUI, it might be time to factory reset the router and try again.

Also. Make sure you're not using any Wireless repeaters in the house while experimenting with your settings. They will gum up the works. Turn them back on only once you're happy and the Wi-Fi router is working as expected.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@Gage wrote:

Who do I get my verizon router to stop changing the channel I set it for to avoid interference. I set it and the net day it's changed.  Is there a setting to check or uncheck to stop it?

The best thing is to do automatic channel and not try to change channels yourself.

on automatic you should not get bumped off.

0 Likes
Gage5
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was on automatic and it kept changing from the one I set it too so I could get the  best signal. Reading through 200 pages of the router manual wasn't what need.  I received noclear answer to my question.  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Well if your router was set to automatic that is the purpose of switching to the best channel. Sometimes channel 11 is the busiest. But you can set it to any channel you wish. But I would say that you need a new router.

call 1-800-VERIZON to arrange a swap.

Gage5
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have it switched to the best channel and Its set to stay there, and it has so far..  One day I will eventually get a new router that uses wifi 801.1.1AC and get the speed IM paying for.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If I remember correctly, assuming you're running the ActionTec MI424WR, there are two checkboxes in regards to channels that you'll need to pay attention to for you manual channel selection to stick.

1: Make sure the checkbox or drop-down to auto-select the channel has been unchecked/changed to the manual channel setting.

2: VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure to check the box that your setting should persist through a router reboot. This is a gotcha that can happen.

If the router is still moving off of Auto Channel despite these settings, or if you find them reverting in the Web GUI, it might be time to factory reset the router and try again.

Also. Make sure you're not using any Wireless repeaters in the house while experimenting with your settings. They will gum up the works. Turn them back on only once you're happy and the Wi-Fi router is working as expected.