my connection is EXTREMELY slow
ilyaz

I am in Rockville, MD (near Wash DC). We got FIOS installed about a week ago and at first all was well. Now my connection is EXTREMELY slow (think "bad dial-up speeds"). It takes minutes to load a URL in Mozilla or IE. However, Verizon FIOS speed test shows that all is well: 25 Mbps download and about 5-8 Mps upload. I already ran a full virus/spyware scan but to no avail. Verizon tech support has been pretty useless: all they could suggest is resetting the modem which did not help. Also, what I noticed is that the Ver FIOS speed test site loads up much faster than all the others I've tried.

What else can I do? Thanks much!

Also, Is there software that could be used to determine what applications/processes on a given machine use up bandwidth and how much? We have two computers connected to the same router (wired) and the other machine seem to connect to the internet somewhat faster. Even after running virusscan, I am wondering if there is some sort of app on my machine that somehow uses up most of the bandwidth.

0 Likes
Re: my connection is EXTREMELY slow
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@ilyaz wrote:

I am in Rockville, MD (near Wash DC). We got FIOS installed about a week ago and at first all was well. Now my connection is EXTREMELY slow (think "bad dial-up speeds"). It takes minutes to load a URL in Mozilla or IE. However, Verizon FIOS speed test shows that all is well: 25 Mbps download and about 5-8 Mps upload. I already ran a full virus/spyware scan but to no avail. Verizon tech support has been pretty useless: all they could suggest is resetting the modem which did not help. Also, what I noticed is that the Ver FIOS speed test site loads up much faster than all the others I've tried.

What else can I do? Thanks much!

Also, Is there software that could be used to determine what applications/processes on a given machine use up bandwidth and how much? We have two computers connected to the same router (wired) and the other machine seem to connect to the internet somewhat faster. Even after running virusscan, I am wondering if there is some sort of app on my machine that somehow uses up most of the bandwidth.

1st this would probably be better off under Fios Internet instead of Fios TV.

But try an independant speed test site. Although the verizon speedtest site is good, I always like a 3rd party verification of said speeds. Granted you may not get completely accurate results on 3rd party but they can be a good second opinion.

www.speedtest.net

www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

are a couple of my personal favorites. Even if it takes a long time to load, be persistant and get results from them.

Next I would run a tracert to a few websites to check on bad hops and such (post back if you need instructions for this)

Finally, some info on the computer.  What OS (windows XP, Vista, 7, or a Mac),  Ram memory? How many process are you running.

Then we can get a little more specific

0 Likes
BrianHarg
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am in Northern VA and having the same issue...  Does not seem to be PC/machine specific...  everything is running slow.  My sons xbox even started throwing messages about poor connection today....  I am running nearly all XP and just one Vista maschine.

Here is the tracit to google.com

C:\>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [72.14.204.147]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
  2   522 ms     *      397 ms  L100.WASHDC-VFTTP-74.verizon-gni.net [72.66.118.1]
  3   448 ms   405 ms   491 ms  3-1-674.WASHDC-LCR-06.verizon-gni.net [130.81.107.92]
  4   538 ms   535 ms   474 ms  so-4-2-0-0.RES-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.81.28.146]
  5   453 ms   297 ms   319 ms  0.ae2.BR2.IAD8.ALTER.NET [152.63.34.73]
  6   308 ms   295 ms   357 ms  xe-11-2-0.edge1.Washington4.level3.net [4.68.63.165]
  7   483 ms   570 ms   517 ms  ae-23-79.car3.Washington1.Level3.net [4.68.17.69]
  8   423 ms   414 ms   447 ms  GOOGLE-INC.car3.Washington1.Level3.net [4.79.168.210]
  9   446 ms   454 ms   465 ms  216.239.48.108
 10   504 ms   447 ms   521 ms  66.249.94.46
 11   449 ms   490 ms   532 ms  iad04s01-in-f147.1e100.net [72.14.204.147]

Trace complete.

Here is the info from speedtest.com..

http://www.speedtest.net/result/864966979.png

My service should be for FIOS Internet 20 and 5....

Anyone elso having issues?

Brian

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

A 500ms+ first hop delay is not good.   You should be seeing 10-20ms.  Just to take DNS out of the picture ... run the tracert again with the "-d" option to not do name resolution.

If it goes away when you use the "-d" option, then you have DNS issues.

If it doesn't go away, then it's in the first hop.  First thing to try is always rebooting the router, followed by a reset and reboot of the router.  These are both easy to do.

Generally not encouraged, one thing you could should these not yield any change in behavior would be to reset the ONT.  Unplug the battery on the power supply block feeding the ONT and then unplug the power brick for about a minute and then plug in the ONT and reattached the battery.

As you mention multiple PC's, I'm sure you disconnected everything but one PC which you then tested directly connected to a port on the router?  And you've done this on at least 2 different PC's just to rule out anything hardware related in the PC itself?

BrianHarg
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was going down most of the "checklist" you gave me and went to my (other) sons MAC and he was downloading stuff on utorrent.  What he was downloading was to the seeding stage (download complete - but now sharing).  Stopped that on his MAC and magically everything back up to normal speed Smiley Very Happy  I spent too much time on this today... for it to be such a simple answer...

Brian

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah ... the old "teenager killed the internet connection" trick ....

0 Likes