My Fios Coax cable just vanished! [help]
MDshah

I received an email from Fios 2days ago regarding my service being down for 7hours. Me and my wife we both work from home and waking up one morning without any internet was extremely panicking for us.  That whole day I have been in contact with fios, but long story short there was no solution and the next appointment for a technician was literally after 3 days. It has been 2 days so far without internet, we both have been using our mobile hotspots to join work meetings, but Unfortunately these 2 days has been the worst 2 days of our careers. 

I live in an apartment building. We currently have 10 apartments on our floor. After spending 2 days without internet, resetting the ONT and my router/modem multiple times, I have decided to follow the coax cable that leads outside my apartment. Upon reaching the central hub for all the cables on my floor, I saw the cables are connected to this splitter with apartment names marked on them with tags (I have posted a picture). I looked for a few minutes to see if my apartment cable was unplugged. It turns out my apartment name(6E) was missing from it. There was no sign of temper, cut cable or any other possible attempt of sabotage. The cables were zip tied, uniform and well managed, as if all of them belonged to places with purpose. No hanging wires. All the tags from 9 apartments on my floor was there, except mine.

At this point I donot know what is going on. But any suggestions or deductions are welcomed. Fios agents also gave me a heads up for $99 repair fees, I donot know why. And I have some networking knowledge to maintain my IOT to assure nothing is wrong inside my home. I have been a fios user for 7 years now. The service has been fantastic. But after these 2 days of miscommunication and misdirection, I cannot find any better reason to switch my ISP at this point.

Thanks for reading any help is much appreciated!

0 Likes
Re: My Fios Coax cable just vanished! [help]
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The pictures are still pending approval by a Moderator so I'm going to post general observations.

What specifically did the Email from Verizon say?

If the service was working properly up until the time that the scheduled outage occurred and it never came back up again then Verizon would need to dispatch a technician to figure out why you're still down days later.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums!  You're talking mostly to other customers here.  Pictures go through a manual review by the forum moderators and will appear once they are approved.

Fios only uses coax to go from the ONT to set-top-boxes.  If your ONT is in your apartment, the coax distribution hub outside has nothing to do with your service.  It's likely for the cable company, not Verizon.  There is no missing cable, as it was never there in the 1st place.

The status lights on the ONT will tell us a lot about what's going on.  Hopefully one of the pictures you posted shows them.  If they are all green, try unplugging the router from the Ethernet port on the ONT and then plugging a computer into it.   See if the computer gets internet.  If it does, this points to a router issue.  Note that the computer will be fully exposed to the internet, so only do this test for a short time and make sure it's firewall is enabled.

If there is no Ethernet cable plugged into the ONT, the above won't work.

Also, have you tried a computer directly plugged into an Ethernet LAN port on the router?  That's a key step as it rules out any WiFi issues.

It will be helpful to know details such as your router model, subscribed speed and if there is an Ethernet cable between the ONT and router.  Maybe the pictures will show this info.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The pictures show cable company connections/equipment. Verizon FiOS doesn't utilize that type of hardware.

Can you post pictures of the equipment in your apartment?