My FIOS speed drops to 5-6mbps every night
KentYuen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since last week I have been having trouble with my FIOS speed (my plan is 100mbps) in the evening, it drops down to only 5-6mbps, other than that my internet seems to be fine during the day. I called for tech support, they rebooted my ONT box, my modem and found nothing, I have done it 4 evenings in a row and all they are telling me is upgrade my internet speed. And they won't schedule a tech visit unless I agree to upgrade. Does anyone have similar problem like this? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My FIOS speed drops to 5-6mbps every night
KentYuen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since they replaced my ONT box last Tuesday, I haven't seen any drops in my speed, I guess that fixed it. Thank you all for your support and information that I could not remotely get from their "tech support".

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would also recommend a speed upgrade. That 100/100 is outdated and cost more than the current 300/300 Mix & Match Internet only. If you only need Internet, I recommend you to upgrade as soon as possible to save some money. If you want TV, that's a different story. Current TV plans are more expensive than grandfathered plans. With video infrastructure aging in the VZ network, it would cost more to maintain and hence higher subscription fees in the future. Speeds dropping to that low suggests something wrong with the OLT-PON-ONT axis. If you plan to troubleshoot with official VZ tech support further, please ask the CSR to check OLT-ONT alarms specifically for power and signal levels.

KentYuen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the advice. 

I have an Alcatel I-211M-L in my garage, and right now my only coaxial out is in my living room on my second floor, connected to my FIOS Quantum gateway router. If I were to upgrade it, would I still be able to use the living room coaxial as my source of signal? I would hate it to pay run ethernet cables around the house or broadcast my wifi signal from the garage to the rest of the house. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes and no. If you upgrade to speeds higher than 100 Mbps, you would need to pull an Ethernet cable between the ONT and the router. Nothing prevents you to relocate the router next to the ONT and have an access point at where your router currently sits. Internal LAN coax distribution can achieve 500Mbps on G1100 and 2500Mbps if you were to use a G3100. My recommendation for you would be to buy another used G1100 off EBay for less than $40. Configure it into bridge mode, and relocate your current router next to the ONT, and connect both routers with a coaxial cable.

KentYuen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks again for the connection tips. Would using  MoCA adapters another option? I have a G1100.  Something like this: 

________________                          ________________

| ONT -- moca    | _ _ _ _coaxial _ _ _ _ | moca -- G1110  |

|_ _ ethernet _ _|                        |_ _ ethernet _ _|

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. A pair of MoCA adapters cost 3 times more than buying another G1100.

KentYuen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, I saw a pair of Moca adapters on sale a few months ago, so I bought them figuring I might have to use them at some point if I had to upgrade my speed. 

I might have more questions after the tech guy comes by tomorrow. Thank you so much for answering my questions.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have TV service with STBs?

If so, there may be issues with moving the router to the garage.

STBs have to talk to the router to get access to the Internet for guide data and on demand programs.

I have 100M service and it is more than sufficient for all my streaming and browsing services.

And contrary to the other post, at least for me, it would cost $30 minimum to a higher speed.

And as you stated, would require an ethernet run.

Not sure I would want to have my main router in the garage and then have it slaved to a bridge in the house.

Coax quality can impact them speed if you try and push the speed. FOr me, the next upgrade speed is 400M which is close to the theoretical limit of MOCA 2.0

KentYuen
Enthusiast - Level 2

No I do not have TV service, only internet, I stream live TV. 

I agree that 100 mbps is enough for what I'm using right now, despite the tech support on phone kept telling me that I cannot have more than 3 -5 devices connected to the network. 

Running ethernet cable is definitely not a good option for my house, if they can let me continue to use my coaxial, I might not agree to upgrade that. Even though they offer no additional cost to upgrade.

I am not really fond of how the tech support was "troubleshooting" my network issue, they only agreed to send someone over because I agreed to consider upgrading my service. 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Because there are no FiOS STBs, it isn't necessary to use a Verizon router. Just be aware that in the event that troubleshooting is required, Verizon will only test as far as the ONT itself.

If the coaxial cable is only going to be used for Internet service with no other devices connected, adapters can be used. Verizon would still DPO to replace the ONT as necessary and move the Internet service from the coaxial port to the Ethernet jack.

I believe that 200 in now the slowest speed Verizon offers. Anything less is a legacy product and may be costing more than upgrading. A "stare & compare" will tell if this the case.