My FIOS speed had dropped into the toilet.
Richard67

I currently pay for a 20/5 plan, but over the last few days the best speed I can get down is about 4Mbps down and 2Mbps up. This is slower than I was getting on DSL.

I have tried with multiple speed testing websites.  Only one computer is connected and in use.  I have reset the Verizon Router.  I have tried wired and wireless.  I have tired multiple Macs and PCs and still the same results.

Anyone have any idea before I call Verizon and get lost in the customer service twilight zone?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My FIOS speed had dropped into the toilet.
VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

Richard67 I did not give up check your inbox. Thanks Brett

View solution in original post

0 Likes
VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

HI Richard67, you could try optimizing your PC first @ this website http://www2.verizon.net/help/fios_settings/optimizer/ after you follow the on screen directions go head & reboot your PC. Once your PC comes back up goto speedtest.verizon.net & see what speeds you get then. If still have an issue after that send me your info in a private message. Thanks Brett

0 Likes
Update: My FIOS speed had dropped into the toilet.
Richard67

When running the Verizon speed test from all three servers, I get the following results:

West Region Test Server: 18.18MB Down and 4.65 Up.  This is what your would expect.

Central Region Test Server:  .56MB Down and 4.00 Up.  That is not a mistype, I only get 560Kbps down. 

East Coast Region Server: 17.44MB Down and 4.37 Up.  Once again, what I would expect.

Oddly, I get the message "Congratulations! The test indicates your service is operating normally" at the bottom of the Central Region Test Server results page.   If getting only 3.5% of the advertised speed is normal, what would constitute a total meltdown?

Clearly Verizon has an internal routing issue and my setup is fine.

My connection speed to 90% of the internet is worse that what I would get with a $20 a month DSL plan.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of this router?

#2 Are you connected wirelessly to this router?

#3 If you are connected by hard wire to this router, did you turn off Wireless in the router?

0 Likes
Richard67

DSLR...

For the record: Westell A90 9100, Wired, Wireless is off.  Using a Mac with Leopard but have tried with Snow Leopard on another Mac as well as a clean install of XP  on a PC.  My setup has not changed in months, but all of a sudden, speeds have fallen.

DSLR... I think you missed the point.  If anything at my end were incorrectly setup than I would not achieve perfect speeds to the West Coast Server.  When I connect to the Central region server, my download speeds drop to less then 500kbps.

While some speed drop to a more distant server is normal, this is a little crazy.

When I connect to every other speed test on the net I get the same poor results.  In fact, virtually all web sites show the same <500Kbps speed.

Once my packets leave the IMMEDIATE Verizon network I am on, the speed drops in the toilet.

It took me 7 minutes to download the 50MB Verizon Home Agent software at less than 100KBps

It is clear that Verizon has a routing issue or a completely saturated line somewhere, but if it effects me, it should also effect those on the same subnet that I am on.    When I have more time I can get Wireshark out and see what networks/subnets are working at full speed, but that is something that Verizon should be doing....  I think VZ_Brett completely gave up on me.

AHHHH!!!! this is driving me nuts, I might as well be on dial-up (Gasp!!)

0 Likes
VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

Richard67 I did not give up check your inbox. Thanks Brett

0 Likes
Richard67

Brett, SORRY for saying your forgot me, I am an idiot!!!   I did not notice the THREE message you sent me.    Hopefully we will figure this out.

0 Likes