My Internet Connection drops Out frequently...help please!
DanRest26
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi I have FIOS internet and every so often..maybe like every 10-15-20 minutes my internet connection goes dead for like 10 seconds and then comes back on...and it keeps happening. I'm a game so this is a problem when I am trying to play on Xbox Live as it keeps booting me from my matches. Does anyone know or have this problem and knows how to fix it? I read that it could be interference from things but I don't know if that is it because i even moved my router right next to the xbox and it still happens. It seems that when i call the help they are always too busy and i can never get through, they always end up hanging up on me. Please if anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it!

Re: My Internet Connection drops Out frequently...help please!
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@DanRest26 wrote:

Hi I have FIOS internet and every so often..maybe like every 10-15-20 minutes my internet connection goes dead for like 10 seconds and then comes back on...and it keeps happening. I'm a game so this is a problem when I am trying to play on Xbox Live as it keeps booting me from my matches. Does anyone know or have this problem and knows how to fix it? I read that it could be interference from things but I don't know if that is it because i even moved my router right next to the xbox and it still happens. It seems that when i call the help they are always too busy and i can never get through, they always end up hanging up on me. Please if anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it!

Does the xbox have an Ethernet port you can use instead of wifi?

If so, I'd suggest connecting via Cat5 (since you said your router is physically close to the xbox anyway) to see if that fixes your problem.  Wifi is often more problematic than a hardwired connection for various reasons.

stubbie1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem that has been determined by Verizon support (finally) to be an issue in their own network. Check out this thread:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Verizon-FIOS-Intermittent-Packet-Loss-Problem-How-to-Conv...

and let me know if this is the same problem. Try doing the pings and see if you can replicate that. Also try other computers, gaming consoles, and routers to help determine it's not your own equipment.

And keep calling support until you get a hold of them. I fear the problem will never just go away by itself!

~David

DanRest26
Enthusiast - Level 2

My xbox is connected straight to my router...i have tried both wired and wireless. I finally got in touch with them and they said it is probably fluctuating power in the router so they have sent me a new router. Somehow i doubt that is the reason but we will see once the new router is set up. It happens to every computer and gaming console in the house. So i really don't know what the problem could be! It is so irritating!

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It seems like replacing the router is a good troubleshooting step.  Hopefully that will cure the problem.  But if not...at least you've eliminated that possiblity.

edit:  Reading your post in another thread where someone else is having the same problem it seems as if there might be an area wide issue with Verizon.

If and when the new router doesn't help you'll have more ammo when you go back to tech support.

DanRest26
Enthusiast - Level 2

Funny thing...last night my internet didn't go down once...i got my new router but i didn't set it up because i wanted to see if the old one worked still. So i don't think it was the power fluctuating. Maybe it was a network glitch or something. Is there anyone one else in the NJ/NY area that experienced that in the past week? Now i don't know whether or not to install the new router.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Seems like it was a Verizon problem after all.  It's too bad tech support doesn't have better tools to know when they're having a network problem to save everyone (including themselves) a lot of time and trouble.

As for installing the new router....it's a coin toss.  I had a similar situation once-upon-a-time and I chose to install the new router and return the old one.  I didn't have any good reason except I like newer.  Sometimes though it's smart to not fix something that isn't broken.  🙂

If you do opt for the replacement router keep in mind that you'll either have to call tech support to get them to release your IP to the old router.  Or I think it would work to leave the router powered down overnight to release your current IP.

Good luck.

pks4
Enthusiast - Level 2

my wireless goes from 15 mbp at best down to 5  cant seem to fix it verizon sent new router didnt work any better does anyone have any answers

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

users that have internet connection drops, slow speeds and intermittent connections while wireless, then your problem might be slightly different then other users in this thread. 

for Wireless intermittent and slow, you should try changing the wireless signal.  you can do that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1,  user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it.

Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel

1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.,

after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx2

Hello,

I am also having the same problem with my DSL.

I have also complained about it.

With the results that everyone seems to get  & the fact it hasn't been fixed,  I think Verizon just don't care

0 Likes