My Internet has gone on and off lately
randomsmileyface

My internet seems to degrade quickly as time goes by.  Especially during the day, the internet connection I am experiencing is down for 15 second intervals every 5 to 15 minutes. I have tried everything in my power to fix it;  replugging the router, disconnecting other devices, and even hooking up another router to possibly supplement the connection

Despite my efforts, the connection degraded even further when I brought it all to its original state, and I am unsure of what to do.  I currently have the old 2009 bg wireless router, and it seems time to upgrade it. The problem is, I don't want to buy  a new 90 dollar router from Verizon to fix my problem.  I have a good quality modem and an N router a friend gave me... Should I attempt to hook these up instead?

0 Likes
Re: My Internet has gone on and off lately
randomsmileyface

Should I stay with this outdated b/g verizon router

or switch to a 3rd party modem and N router?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the connection only a problem from the Wireless? You might want to test from a Wired connection to see if things are any better.

If a friend gave a Wireless N router to you, we need to make sure that it's something we can get hooked up to FiOS. Could you share the make and model of the device to us?

Finally, do you have FiOS TV in your home? If it comes down to replacing your router because it's problematic, in many cases we can simply eliminate the need for the FiOS router all together.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@WIFIcrisis wrote:

Should I stay with this outdated b/g verizon router

or switch to a 3rd party modem and N router?

FIOS does not use a modem.  The router is the connection the FIOS network.  If you want to use your own router you would first have to get the router provisioning changed to ethernet.  If you have FIOS tv you may have issues if you completely replace the Verizon router.

You should probably visit http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077 as it will give you a description of the various ways of accomplishing what you want to do.

0 Likes