MY MOM JUST GOT FIOS..INTERNET NOT WORKING...HELP!
FANOJOVI
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello. 

My mom just got FiOS. The internet part is not working. I've changed out the ethernet cable to see if that was the problem and that didn't make a difference. We called tech support. They are telling her she should get an ethernet adapter?...Does this adapter cost alot? Where can I get one? Does this adapter have a USB adapter on the other end? I've called Radio Shack and no one has them or they don't know what I'm talking about...Same with Best Buy.  I'm not sure if I'm saying what I need correctly.  I'm hoping someone can help me..

Thanks for your responses.

Kim

PS: THIS is NOT Willemsdad..LOL It is his mom.. 🙂

Re: MY MOM JUST GOT FIOS..INTERNET NOT WORKING...HELP!
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Hi.  We're going to need a little more info in order to possibly help.

What kind of computer are you using?  Laptop?  Desktop?  Windows?  Mac?

How are you connecting to the router you got with FiOS?  Ethernet cable or wifi?  Is the Ethernet cable you say you changed out between the computer and a LAN port on the router?

What brand and model router did Verizon give you?  The brand and model will be on the label on the side of the router.

Those answers may be a starting point to get you going. 

FANOJOVI
Enthusiast - Level 1

OOops sorry for the lack of info...Ok. She is working on desktop computer..Windows XP.  Connection via Ethernet cable,  YES, LAN port on the Router. Verizon gave her the Actiontec MI424WR-WR

I checked into the WiFi, but it is over 60 bucks that my mom doesn't have to do it wirelessly.

Thanks again.

I'm hoping to get this Ethernet adapter today. 

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You shouldn't need any Ethernet adapter.  The Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port on the WinXP computer to the LAN port on the router should do it.  That is...assuming the PC in question actually has an Ethernet port.  I'm wondering what tech support meant when they said he had to get an Ethernet adapter.

Are any other computers connected to the router that are able to get on to the Internet? 

And, btw, did the Verizon installer connect to the Internet before he left after completing the install?

Hubrisnxs
Legend

If there is a ethernet jack in the back of the PC then it's possible that there is no driver or having driver trouble.

Check that first.   as you see below this realtek adapter has a yellow exclamation mark next to its name, that indicates the software is not set up properly and so it won't get internet.   If you can get the name and model of the NIC that is installed in your mom's pc then you can do a google search (from a working PC) with the word driver and the name of the card.

so if you were looking for the card below (as an example) 

your google search would say

'realtek TRL8168 driver download'

And the results that come up would allow you to download the drivers to a USB drive or a CD ROM that you burned with that file on it. 

hardline ethernet cards, are as little as 9 bux if you shop right, wireless's probably start around 30 dollars and go up from there.  if you don't mind doing some searching on the net, I am sure you can find the software for the card and fix the problem yourself.    buy a card in a store is a fine solution as it will come with the software on a CD for you.  so it depends on how many hours your putting into it, and if 10-20 bux is cheaper than the amount of time and energy you're putting into it.

smokeybandit
Enthusiast - Level 3

So FIOS was installed  but the installer left w/o establishing internet connectivity?

JiveTurkey2
Contributor - Level 1

Could this be a USB to Ethernet adapter?  Some older machines (believe it or not) don't have built-in Ethernet and need one of these suckers.  And the USB port on the router isn't active to use for an Internet connection.

Also, try to go to "Start", then "Run", then type in to the box "cmd", then hit "Enter" (or click "OK).

A black DOS-like window will open, and in there type in ipconfig, then "Enter"

If everything is configured properly, you should be getting an IP address of 192.168.1.x  (x being equal to a number like 2, 3, 4, etc).

If you get an IP address such as 169.254.xxx.xxx or 0.0.0.0, then it's most likely a defective network card.  If you don't see any information for an IP address, most likely the network interface card (NIC) drivers are missing or corrupted like another poster advised.   But even with a USB to Ethernet adapter, it's plug-and-play, the router assigns any network device an IP address and allows it connect instantly with the hardwire connection.  Hope that help!

Hubrisnxs
Legend

@smokeybandit wrote:

So FIOS was installed  but the installer left w/o establishing internet connectivity?

I wouldn't expect anyone other than a pc tech to fix missing or corrupt drivers, if that is the case.   at the very least though he should have told her or written down instructions as to what he saw when he was there as a courtesy.