need help config Linksys E4200 router for fios
vnguyen9721
Enthusiast - Level 2

I lost connection so I reset my router then not I can't get it connect to Verizon FiOS. Any one can help? I used PPPoE and supplied newds as user name but it won't work... Called customer support and it was a joke.. Anyone has the same router that can help me?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: need help config Linksys E4200 router for fios
vnguyen9721
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your post. I'm so sorry about your experience.

Well, mine wasn't that great either. Around 9pm, it just stops working... and usually I reboot my router and it works again... this time, it didn't... and I did a hard reset... still didn't work. So I panic.

I called support... spent 2 hours, and he can't help me either. I was one of the customers that never had Verizon routers even when I first had it years ago. I believe the days when Version Fios just started and they didn't have routers.

So.. I was confused because I remember I was connected via PPPoE before... but no matter what I tried, not working... 

Then this morning, I called again, and this time was worse... spent 2 hours with techsupport and she couldn't even locate my account. Putting me on hold.. and finally transfered me to billing then they could find my account and transfered me back to support... This time thank god, it was a different person, Abraham... he was godsent ... within 5 min, he got me working. He simply asked me to power off my router, then he did something on his side, then he asked me to power up and voila... I'm back online!!! 

Thanks everyone... and I did set on DHCP this time and it worked!!! so I guess no more PPPoE.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1
vnguyen9721
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. I found that link last night as well and tried it but it didn't work... I switched to Auto DHCP and it didn't work either...

Weird, that it's been working then after a hard reset.. I can't get it to work again.... any other tips? or do I need a new Router? 🙂

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes
ooglek1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon installed FiOS at my home on election day, November 2004. PPPoE was the way!

Last night (January 29 between Midnight and 8am Eastern) while sleeping my PPPoE connection stopped working. After spending an hour on the phone with a friendly Verizon rep named Corey, after I pressed him to escalate the issue to a network engineer, they said my account/connection was provisioned for DHCP, not PPPoE.

So I switched to DHCP and my connection started working again.

Which is great, but really annoying that (a) I never got any notice that I should do that from Verizon, (b) I had called a few years ago to ask how I could move from PPPoE to DHCP and was told it would take a few days and I wouldn't have Internet or TV during those few days, and (c) though Corey was friendly he basically said "I can't help you unless you are using a Verizon Wifi router" and I had to urge him that I had tested PPPoE with 3 different devices (my main router and two laptops) and all three failed to connect, and that made this a Verizon problem not a problem with my router.

I understand needing to move all customers to a single technology to connect, but some heads up on timing and reps that will take ownership of ANY problem, even if it IS the customers fault (in this case it was not), is not an unreasonable ask.

I know you said you switched to DHCP and it didn't work either, but I found your post and wondered if it was related, so I'm posting my experience here.

vnguyen9721
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your post. I'm so sorry about your experience.

Well, mine wasn't that great either. Around 9pm, it just stops working... and usually I reboot my router and it works again... this time, it didn't... and I did a hard reset... still didn't work. So I panic.

I called support... spent 2 hours, and he can't help me either. I was one of the customers that never had Verizon routers even when I first had it years ago. I believe the days when Version Fios just started and they didn't have routers.

So.. I was confused because I remember I was connected via PPPoE before... but no matter what I tried, not working... 

Then this morning, I called again, and this time was worse... spent 2 hours with techsupport and she couldn't even locate my account. Putting me on hold.. and finally transfered me to billing then they could find my account and transfered me back to support... This time thank god, it was a different person, Abraham... he was godsent ... within 5 min, he got me working. He simply asked me to power off my router, then he did something on his side, then he asked me to power up and voila... I'm back online!!! 

Thanks everyone... and I did set on DHCP this time and it worked!!! so I guess no more PPPoE.

0 Likes