Need help connecting network hard drive to fios router
alleyooptroop
Enthusiast - Level 2

i believe i got the actiontec m1424wr wireless router when i signed up for fios internet service as part of the bundle. i'd like to connect a hard drive that would house my photos, music and movies for itunes to access. i have an apple macbook running os x. i did do a search and found a couple threads about attaching external usb hard drives (which i know you can't) but nothing specific to attaching a network hard drive.

so is it a plug and play situation? do i just attach the hd to an ethernet port on the router? how then do i get the hard drive to show up on the desktop of my macbook?

thanks in advance for any replies.

0 Likes
Re: Need help connecting network hard drive to fios router
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

as long as it uses ethernet you should be good to go no changes or port forwarding.  I have a worldbook I use and it works great.

0 Likes
alleyooptroop
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks for the comment donald! so then how do you access the network attached drive form your laptop? does it automatically show up? hopefully someone on a mac will be able to elaborate.

0 Likes
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

my worldbook has a nat interface like a router, I set it up through that interface.  You would have to run a program like samba because world books use windows networking.  You can use an apple time capsule if you want something that will work well with mac.

0 Likes
alleyooptroop
Enthusiast - Level 2

so i'm assuming it's a bad thing (for me) if a hard drive is made for windown networking? will my macbook not recognize the drive?

0 Likes
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

It's supposed to, never run a mac, but I believe they run the windows networking software, it's called samba on linux distros, not sure what they call it on os X.

0 Likes
alleyooptroop
Enthusiast - Level 2

i was actually looking through iomega's website and they claim that their nas hard drives are both mac and pc compatible. might be worth looking into.

0 Likes
alleyooptroop
Enthusiast - Level 2

would something like this lacie work?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS423VC/A

0 Likes
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

that would not connect to the router, if you want a network drive you have to find one with ethernet.

0 Likes