need help setting up a home network for fios
sharyn1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi everyone,

I ran cat6 cables  through out the house in a new build for  TV and voice and Internet.
 Was going to connect them to a25 port unmanaged switch and then to my router which would connect to fios when they come to set me up ( new House/ FIOS not installed yet)
 so Internet is easy but voice?  I ran separate cat 6 lines in 3 places.  Can this also go in the same switch as the cat6   Internet?
TV so how does fios set up their TV?  I was hoping all cat 6 regardless it is a smart TV or not.  I did run coax to all locations anyway. Does anyone know what cables I will need for my TV's?
Can someone who understands FIOS help me?  we are getting ready to sheet rock and want to be sure it was done properly.  I have tried to contact fios twice and they are of no help maybe because of the strike......Smiley Sad

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: need help setting up a home network for fios
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@sharyn wrote:

Thank you for your response .  I had the electrician run cat6 for the phone to three locations ( one per floor) already.
will I be able to use the cat 6 for phone? 

Yes, is overkill, but will work fine.  All those locations need to be attached to a punchdown block or patch panel.

If you have a cat5 or better patch panel in your wiring closet it can be used for both telephone and internet so the remote wall jacks carry the service that is connected to patch panel end from a network switch or a telephone puch down block.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

FIOS TV typically works via coax.

You have to have coax from ONT to splitter. Connect all of your coax runs to splitter and then connect a STB to each coax,

Router will need to connect to coax as well to provide guide data.

Connect one port of switch to a lan port on switch and you will get wired Internet everywhere you ran cat6.

For phone service, you just need a 2 wire cable.

They all get tied together.
Ideally you would use a punch block to connect them together.

But hooking all the wires together on a jack will work as well.

You would need to run a cable from jack to ONT port for phone service.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your walls are open you should run cat 5 or better to all locations that you want network connectivity.  Cat3 or better to everywhere you want phone connectivity and rg6 to all locations for TV.

Typically you would terminate all that wiring in your "network closet" where you would have a punchdon block tor the cat 3 wires, your 25 port network switch and a multiport coax splitter.

The ONT ethernet port would be connected to the switch, the telephone connector to the punch down block and the coax connector to the multiport coax splitter.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS basically works as follows inside the home:

Television - distributed over standard Coax using standard digial cable signals exactly like tradition cable TV.

Internet - WAN connects router via Coax to the ONT (Optical Netowrk Terminal) for the public side of your internet connection

Internet - LAN - distributed via WiFi, local ethernert ports on the router, and MOCA via Coax.

For Internet LAN -- WiFi should not need explaining.  For Ethernet, these are originate on the router and work just like a regular home internet router -- connect them out via any standard LAN cable and your fine.  For MoCA, this is primary used by your STB's to talk to each other and to give them a path to the Interenet for guide data, etc.   You can purchase your own MoCA endpoints (see ActionTec MOCA bridge) to put local LAN at any location you have Coax connected to your physical plant.

Telephone - This is delivered directly from the ONT as a standard two-wire setup like regular POTS telephone service.  Typically the installer will connect this to your telephone DMARK box after disconnecting the old copper connection running to the main telco switch and you get phone through your standard phone lines.  

sharyn1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your response .  I had the electrician run cat6 for the phone to three locations ( one per floor) already.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@sharyn wrote:

Yes, is overkill, but will work fine.  All those locations need to be attached to a punchdown block or patch panel.

If you have a cat5 or better patch panel in your wiring closet it can be used for both telephone and internet so the remote wall jacks carry the service that is connected to patch panel end from a network switch or a telephone puch down block.