Need help turning off WPA!! on MI424WR-GEN3I
sunilsocal

Hi,

I cant seem to turn of WPA on the router. I have it on WPA/WPA2 resulting in speeds of 56MBps. Simple fix to turn off WPA but I am not sure how to.

Anyone with ideas please?

0 Likes
Re: Need help turning off WPA!! on MI424WR-GEN3I
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

wireless settings/advanced Security settings/802.11 b/g/n mode/ PERFORMANCE mode (802.11n only). 

0 Likes
sunilsocal
Thanks but that is not it. That controls the radios, not the encryption. Surely, someone must have come across this and figured out how to turn on WPA.
0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Assuming that you can find a way to use WPA vs WPA2 why would you want to?

It will restrict your link rate to G only 54 Mbps.

It is not secure and offers very little  protection.   Verizon knows this and therefore has made it hard it not impossible to use an obsolete and insecure security mode.

If you are trying to connect a piece of old network gear that only supports WPA purchase an old and obsolete router that only supports G and will also allow WPA and hang it off your Actiontec as an AP.  You can probably pick up a Linksys 54G for no more than $10.

0 Likes
sunilsocal

Cpatain,

Thanks  for the insight . My problem is quite the opposite. I Don't want to use WPA but my network scanner and phone network setting report wireless as WPA/WPA2 telling me both encryptions are enabled, thereby negating any n network improvements in speed. Not suprised I see speeds of 56 Mbps once this setup is on. 

Turning off the wireless on the router and just using the Moca switch wireless (webc3000), I do get n speeds. Leading me to believe the problem is located around disabling WPA in the original router.

Hope this clarifies my problem further.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Log into the router click the wireless tab on top. On the left side click the basic settings and select the WEP encryption. I do not understand why you would want to do that because I do not think it is going to help your wireless speed.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@sunilsocal wrote:
Thanks but that is not it. That controls the radios, not the encryption. Surely, someone must have come across this and figured out how to turn on WPA.

Setting performance mode will disable WPA.  802.11n ONLY supports WPA2.  And will increase speed.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

The OP needs to use WEP to connect some legacy equipment to his network which aparently won't support WPA2 encryption.

My suggestion still is to purchase/ beg an older G only router and set it up as an AP and then connect only the cameras and DVR to it either using WiFi or Ethernet.

PROS:

1.  This will give you the WEP security you need.

2.  By having the cameras and DVR connected on this AP you won't slow down N capable devices which can connect to your primary network.

3.  Devices connected to your primary network will be protected by WPA2, but there is a big but

CON:

1.  By having an AP using only WEP someone can easily gain access to your network.   The best thing you can do to prevent this is double NAT the second router behind your primary which will result in any devices connected to it being in their own subnet with no access to the primary network.  This however may result in it being much more difficult acessing the cameras remotely.

2.  If you choose not to double NAT then enable every security feature you can on the second router which will delay and discourage script kiddies but not stop a real hacker intent to gain access:

a.Long as possible  and secure WiFI encryption on WEP.    

b. very secure administrative password.

c. Block administrative access by WiFi

d. Allow only certain IPs to administer the router

e. Block remote access to router

f. Give only the MAC addresses of devices that you want to be able to use the second router access by WiFi.

g, Monitor the system logs so you can tell if your router is under attack

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CaptainSTX wrote:

The OP needs to use WEP to connect some legacy equipment to his network which aparently won't support WPA2 encryption.

Nothing in his posts in this thread leads to the hint he wants to use WEP.

To geth the wireless N speeds he mentions he needs to use performance mode.  Yes that means older devices will not work as only wireless-n devices will connect.

0 Likes
sunilsocal

Guys,

Thanks so much for trying to help. I am sure I was not very clear about my problem earlier, so let me reiterate.

1. My original problem is that the router does not connect at n speeds (130Mbps). It only connects at g speeds (56Mbps). 

To try and diagnose this, I saw that WAP and WAP2 were always on. So thought maybe cause WAP is on, it doesn't connect. However, I have done more trouble shooting, and completely turned off all wireless security to test and the connect is still 56. So leads me to believe there is something else that is wrong in the router. 

I do have mms enabled, have resorted to factory settings, to no avail. Maybe a call to verizon for an exchange is in order.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

0 Likes