Need some help with a complicated issue/setup
EyeintheSky57
I have decided to replace the Actiontec router with a D-Link AC3200. I am trying to figure out if any other changes are necessary.

Here is my setup:

1. Phone Service
2. TV but no set top box. The coax connects into our Home Theater PC using a "cable card"
3. We have a "mini cell tower" thing that has a connection that takes the coax into a little box that converts it to CAT5 cable then into the mini cell tower.
4. Internet currently with the Actiontec router.

Moving to the D-Link router, I know I will need to have the Ethernet port on the ONT turned on. No problem there.

How will going to the Ethernet connection on the ONT affect the phone service and the mini cell tower?
Will the mini cell tower have to be located at the new router for a direct connection or will the coax signal still work for that?
Will the cable card still receive TV signal and guide info? Will a "NIM" be necessary?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
0 Likes
Re: Need some help with a complicated issue/setup
defjab

@EyeintheSky57 wrote:
I have decided to replace the Actiontec router with a D-Link AC3200. I am trying to figure out if any other changes are necessary.

Here is my setup:

1. Phone Service
2. TV but no set top box. The coax connects into our Home Theater PC using a "cable card"
3. We have a "mini cell tower" thing that has a connection that takes the coax into a little box that converts it to CAT5 cable then into the mini cell tower.
4. Internet currently with the Actiontec router.

Moving to the D-Link router, I know I will need to have the Ethernet port on the ONT turned on. No problem there.

How will going to the Ethernet connection on the ONT affect the phone service and the mini cell tower?
Will the mini cell tower have to be located at the new router for a direct connection or will the coax signal still work for that?
Will the cable card still receive TV signal and guide info? Will a "NIM" be necessary?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I am not speaking on an official capacity, only from my exp. a few years ago. My ONT was dropping connection when I was wired on coax and the area supervisor decided that they wanted to try ethernet (and they rewired my house for free since is was their ONT screwing up - bonus) - Long story short data did NOT run simeltaneously through Coax & Ethernet

I had cable card on TIVO and the coax signal worked there without issue

I didn't have a mini cell tower, but as I understand how those work, they need a data connection and it will likely have to be linked to the new router (if it's feasable, you could just run a long cat5/6 from the minicell to the new router rather than relocate the mini cell if that's a concern). You mention it goes into a little box to convert the coax into cat5. Since the data won't (or at least didn't for me) run simeltaneously through coax and ethernet. 

Phone Service - I had it but never used it. since this runs over an RJ-11 connection it should be uneffected. 

0 Likes