Need to report severe speed problems in my area
Beer3

For the past few weeks, we've been having some serious performance problems in my area. 

Once or twice every day or two, our speed in the area gets incredibly slow.  The problem usually lasts about 30 minutes, and then eventually corrects itself.  Unfortunately, by the time I reach someone at Verizon on the phone, the issue has fixed itself.

The problem has been ongoing for about a month now.  It happened Friday 2/12 at about 8:30PM, and again today, Sunday 2/14 at about 3:00PM

I have a 50/50Mbps connection, and this is what my speed test result looks like when we're having the issue here.

And it's not just me, a friend of mine about 3 miles away who also has Fios has the exact same problems at the exact same times.  When I notice an issue, I text him, and he confirms he's having the same problem and vice versa. 

This is my friend's speed test from this afternoon when we were having the issue:

This really needs to be looked into.

0 Likes
Re: Need to report severe speed problems in my area
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need to start by running a test via a wired connection to speedtest.verizon.net

That will test your connection to the FIOS network.

If that passes, you will get limited response from Verizon as it may be beyond their control (outside their network).

0 Likes
Beer3

I'll try to remember to use Verizon's test next time it happens.  Speedtest.net is always my go-to test.  All my home tests have been on a wired connection.

The internet speeds just completely tank all of a sudden.  Websites barely load, pings jump to 2000 in games.. it's awful.  Same situation with my friend.  Very frustrating. 

0 Likes
krisy0uk

the speed searches both use ookla to run the tests so it really shouldn't matter which site you use.  It is just verizon's way to manipulate and throw out your test results.  When you call to get them on the line they express how sorry they are, and then try to tell you it is because all of your devices that are connected even though they aren't using any bandwith.  Verizon really needs to fix this problem or they will lose a lot of customers especially with the way that other cable companies are currently offering the same speeds at or around the same price.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@krisy0uk wrote:

the speed searches both use ookla to run the tests so it really shouldn't matter which site you use.  It is just verizon's way to manipulate and throw out your test results.  ...

NO its not.  They need to confirm that they are delivering the correct speed without going through OTHER company's servers.  If they are not it will show an obvious problem and Verizon will know its their problem.  I suspect the OP will actually still have a problem and this will prove it.

Yes speedtest.net is usually very reliable for testing.  However, at least in the past, certain of the servers would definitely show poor results.  E.g. there were a couple in NY area that were notoriously slow.  If you tried others, even some across the country, the results were good.

gasguzzler

Beer please continue to post your upload/download speed issues, as many loyal Verizon customers all over the U.S.A. are stuck with this same kind of shabby, third rate service on a regular basis. We have no legal recourse against Verizon, they are fully protected by state and federal law from being held responsible for the contracted service we as consumers are obligated to pay for.

For 5 weeks now, this is my standard bandwidth Verizon gives to me from 7 PM to 12 AM (midnight):

Click on this link: http://i.imgur.com/tPHlCyH.png

0 Likes
gasguzzler

Beer, my Verizon Quantum FiOS 75/75 service issue that ONLY OCCURS DURING 7 pm to 12 am every night, has continued and now entered six consecutive weeks, with no solution from Verizon at all.

Take a look for yourself at how much Verizon deliberately and knowingly restricts my Los Angeles area bandwidth every night.

mouse click this image to see Verizon's Speed Test results: http://i.imgur.com/v0xbB1D.png

0 Likes
Beer3

The issue has actually been fixed (so it seems) since I originally posted this.  If it happens again, I'll update.

0 Likes