Netflix Open Connect
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

Netflix announced today new "SuperHD" and "3D" streaming options...but only to ISPs that are part of the Netflix Open Connect network.

When might we see this happen, Verizon?

https://signup.netflix.com/superhd

https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect

EDIT: Dang it. I'm on the TV board. This should be on the FiOS Internet board... Sorry!

0 Likes
Re: Netflix Open Connect
JoseQ1

Count me in for this as well. I would've thought Verizon would've been a launch partner.

0 Likes
Jar3dMan

Would love to see this too.  

Don't think it will happen due to Verizon's new deal with Redbox: www.redboxinstant.com

It's basically the same as netflix was, but with more bugs and a slightly lower price - kind of.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

RedBox Instant by Verizon is no Netflix competitor (yet) | Geek ...

netflix still has the titles while redbox is sorely lacking.

they NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED to beef it up with titles people want to watch.  hopefully that is soon

The digital library that comprises RedBox Instant at the moment is acceptable, so long as all you want to watch are a handful of comedies, budget horror flicks, and one or two blockbuster titles from the last year. For example, if you select Thor, the single recommended movie in the database for those who liked this movie is Iron Man 2. If you to choose Iron Man 2, the only recommended film is Thor. In other words, you are unlikely to fill your list of bookmarked movies to watch later before you have reached the end of the available movies.

Despite having a section for TV Shows, I was unable to locate a single show in the list. I assume that TV shows will be added later, which could really be a place for RedBox to thrive. Verizon FIOS On Demand has one of the largest libraries of current television shows available today, and sticking that library in RedBox would be a powerful addition to the current offering.

0 Likes
owroc

With Verizon developing Redbox Streaming to compete with Netflix I am sure they will drag there feet on this one.

0 Likes
david0406
Enthusiast - Level 2

Really don't care about Verizon and Redbox. Would like to see them join the Netflix open connect network NOW. Are you listening VERIZON. NOW!

JamesMowery
Enthusiast - Level 2

I find Netflix as an invaluable service. Been a customer since the early days. I think it would be a great thing if Verizon FiOS supported this.

david0406
Enthusiast - Level 2

Per my conversation. Verizon will NOT be joining the Netflix Open Connect Network. Verizon Redbox streaming was the reason why. Frankly Verizon you will not compete with Netflix.

nynestor

I just noticed this on my Netflix last night and saw the movie thorough it on my FIOS service. Looks awesome and in full HD & 5.1 sourround sound. 

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@david0406 wrote:

Per my conversation. Verizon will NOT be joining the Netflix Open Connect Network. Verizon Redbox streaming was the reason why. Frankly Verizon you will not compete with Netflix.

Curious, but "your conversation" with who?  Are you refering to you post on this thread or a conversation from someone at Verizon who knows this?

0 Likes