Netflix performance on FIOS is *Pathetic*
CoalGem

I just switched over from Optimum to Verizon FIOS a couple weeks ago.  I was assured that Netflix would work as well - "probably better" - as it did when Optimum was my carrier.  Well...Uh...NO!  I've probably had more interruptions while watching one hour of Netflix with Verizon FIOS tonight as I did in the last year with Optimum.

Look, I know Verizon wants us all to subscribe to Redbox, but Redbox isn't nearly as well rated.  Nor do they have Netflix' original content.  And yes, I like Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, and Lilyhammer.  (Yes, really.)

I'm paying Verizon to let me access data, not tell me what data to access.

If this is going to be the level of service I get, I may stop being a FIOS customer after a VERY short period of time.

This is UNACCEPTABLE.

0 Likes
Re: Netflix performance on FIOS is *Pathetic*
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Talk to Netflix. If Google Fiber can only muster 3.5Mbps out of them, and Netflix ran better before the whole OpenConnect thing started (not to mention the service was cheaper and used existing, robust CDNs more than an in-house solution), I wonder what changed. My understanding is that Verizon has been having some peering issues, and that is something Verizon has to work out with their partners, but Netflix isn't something Verizon needs to fix.

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/results/usa/graph

If the graphs are any indication, things seem to be slowly improving. I've noticed the complaints about slow YouTube have started to taper off. That's right around the time after Google made a boatload of changes to the site, including the way content was being streamed.

Unless the whole net neutrality battle Verizon is going through in court against the FCC is any indication as to what could be happening... well, once it's officially found that Verizon is being unfair to traffic, I'm out.

0 Likes
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

First, to address complaints about YouTube - that is because Google is actually using Verizon as transit now so you don't really have to leave the Verizon network to get YouTube content except very rarely.

In regards to Google Fiber only being able to achieve a bit over 3mbit with Netflix, Netflix doesn't offer a stream much higher than 3mbit unless you play something in 3D or if the stream is available in SuperHD. 3D and SuperHD only works on specific devices and Windows 8. Anyone streaming on Windows 7 or some other OS other than Windows 8 or is using a non SuperHD compatible device will find that 3mbit will be their limit.

As it stands now, Netflix is streaming a lot of its content to Verizon customers via Level 3 and even then, there are obvious congestion issues. There should never be congestion issues between Level 3 and Verizon but it's becoming a regular issue. I have access to sites using Level 3 and Above.Net (Zayo) and neither of those have issues with Netflix also being served over Level 3. Then again, they also don't have a competing service to Netflix to worry about.

I don't think it's really fair to point fingers at Netflix on this one, they're not using discount transit anymore.

JT888

I believe Netflix has an arrangement with Optimum in wich they co-locate some of their equipment directly on the Optimum network.

0 Likes
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

@tw88 wrote:

I believe Netflix has an arrangement with Optimum in wich they co-locate some of their equipment directly on the Optimum network.

That would be their OpenConnect caching servers.

0 Likes
AfriShutah

I recently upgraded my Verison FIOS service and now have a 50/25 Mb pipe. Sadly, I cannot tell any difference when trying to watch Netflix movies. It can take up to 5 minutes before a movie starts streaming, especially if the qulity of the connection is indicated with the bars as "high" (this is pretty counter-intuitive). 

I have contacted Verizon, Netflix and the manufacturer of my Blu-Ray device (Samsung) and done everything that is possible. Verizon and Netflix keep blaming each other. Although I have no proof that Verizon is choking delivery of Netflix content, I do find it curious that I am recenly bombarded with more and more emails and ads for Verizon's own content (movies).

I almost dropped Verizon (I have been a loyal customer since 2008) last week, in frustration over ever higher monthly fees and poorer service. I reluctantly accepted their offer to upgrade to a 50/25 Mb connection (my original connection was 20/5). Alas, it seems to have been for naught.

We may be going separate ways, after all ... and btw. I will also be dropping Nextflix until I can get a better connection.

(cc'ed on my FB page)

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

At some point people are going to figure out that the high end internet plans are of not much benefit and start downgrading.

The vast majority of people only need a high end plan, 50, 100, etc for video streaming.  The rest of what they do is insignifcant when it comes to data transport.

So what is the point of a great high plan if it doesn't stream video any better than a low end one.  You are simply wasting your money.

VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

I get 50/25 so I can run speed tests and smugly smile and feel like I'm getting something.

Verizon smartly set the basic pagage at 15/5 which is just slow enough to force multiperson homes to upgrade. Just slightly higher speeds would make upgrading pointless. It really is a shame 25/25 has gone away. Even 15/15 would be fine for me.  The occasional VOIP (have a femtocell), videochating and uploading means I nead something somewhat more robust than 5mbps up.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Be careful of rationalizing that you have no choice.  My next neigbhor is tonight getting better Netflix on 3 different TVs while his wife called family on Skype in Brazil on a 15/2 package through the local cable company.

I'll be calling FIOS in the morning about credits.  I messed up.  I just had to go with FIOS and their "fiber optics" when I could have saved $40/mo on similar TV and internet packages through the local cable company.

0 Likes
alinux
Enthusiast - Level 3

Get VPN or SmartDNS, see http://thevpn.guru/netflix-streaming-problems-verizon/ this will bounce you behind the Verizon control dogs and you will get all Netflix regions.

0 Likes