Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu

Netflix Workaround?

CaptainSTX
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: Netflix Workaround?

Message 21 of 25
(983 Views)

In theory If Fios direct connects to Netflix many people can down grade to a less expensive/ slower  Internet plan and save money and have great streaming.

To watch a single stream of Netflix you don't need  a 75/35 or even a 50/25 plan.

With an ISP that has low latency and and a uncongested peering points a 10 Mbps connection would be enough for a very good to excellent HD connection to Netflix.

When I was living in the Virgin Islands I seldom had any problems streaming on my 5 Mbps connection using a Roku.

Currently Verizon is up selling people to faster plans as the uniformed  masses believe this will make their streaming better.

anonFios
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 22 of 25
(959 Views)

@CaptainSTX wrote:

In theory If Fios direct connects to Netflix many people can down grade to a less expensive/ slower  Internet plan and save money and have great streaming.

There's no reason not to do that now, regardless of whether Verizon and Netflix directly peer.

tns2
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 23 of 25
(907 Views)

@CaptainSTX wrote:

To watch a single stream of Netflix you don't need  a 75/35 or even a 50/25 plan.

With an ISP that has low latency and and a uncongested peering points a 10 Mbps connection would be enough for a very good to excellent HD connection to Netflix.

When I was living in the Virgin Islands I seldom had any problems streaming on my 5 Mbps connection using a Roku.

Currently Verizon is up selling people to faster plans as the uniformed  masses believe this will make their streaming better.

Higher speed (above about 5 mbps) were never needed.

toptek
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 24 of 25
(883 Views)

I SAID what will  this do to  gaming  ?

That so hard to understand  ? ..

SIGH

IF this is true  http://www.businessinsider.com.au/verizon-broadband-costs-could-go-up-2014-2

NETFLIX would be the  start of a   pricing jack up  if the US GOV doesn't do some thing   ...

optivity
Silver Contributor I
Silver Contributor I

Message 25 of 25
(860 Views)

"In theory If Fios direct connects to Netflix many people can down grade to a less expensive/ slower  Internet plan and save money and have great streaming."

Netflix streams Super HD @ 7 Mbps, so the whole Verizon Quantum / Wireless N router sales pitch is superfluous.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title