Re: Netflix Workaround?
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

In theory If Fios direct connects to Netflix many people can down grade to a less expensive/ slower  Internet plan and save money and have great streaming.

To watch a single stream of Netflix you don't need  a 75/35 or even a 50/25 plan.

With an ISP that has low latency and and a uncongested peering points a 10 Mbps connection would be enough for a very good to excellent HD connection to Netflix.

When I was living in the Virgin Islands I seldom had any problems streaming on my 5 Mbps connection using a Roku.

Currently Verizon is up selling people to faster plans as the uniformed  masses believe this will make their streaming better.

0 Likes
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

@CaptainSTX wrote:

In theory If Fios direct connects to Netflix many people can down grade to a less expensive/ slower  Internet plan and save money and have great streaming.

There's no reason not to do that now, regardless of whether Verizon and Netflix directly peer.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CaptainSTX wrote:

To watch a single stream of Netflix you don't need  a 75/35 or even a 50/25 plan.

With an ISP that has low latency and and a uncongested peering points a 10 Mbps connection would be enough for a very good to excellent HD connection to Netflix.

When I was living in the Virgin Islands I seldom had any problems streaming on my 5 Mbps connection using a Roku.

Currently Verizon is up selling people to faster plans as the uniformed  masses believe this will make their streaming better.

Higher speed (above about 5 mbps) were never needed.

0 Likes
toptek1

I SAID what will  this do to  gaming  ?

That so hard to understand  ? ..

SIGH

IF this is true  http://www.businessinsider.com.au/verizon-broadband-costs-could-go-up-2014-2

NETFLIX would be the  start of a   pricing jack up  if the US GOV doesn't do some thing   ...

0 Likes
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

"In theory If Fios direct connects to Netflix many people can down grade to a less expensive/ slower  Internet plan and save money and have great streaming."

Netflix streams Super HD @ 7 Mbps, so the whole Verizon Quantum / Wireless N router sales pitch is superfluous.

0 Likes